General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Headlights making grinding noise when I turn them off or lock car - What can it be???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights making grinding noise when I turn them off or lock car - What can it be???

Well this just started happening maybe 2 weeks ago to my 01 T/A WS6. Normally since I have keyless entry I can just hit the lock or unlock button and the car responded to that, when I hit lock the foglights and marker lights flashed and the car beeped, when I hit unlock the car simply unlocked. When I had the headlights on and turned them off, they simply went down.

Well now however something happened and I cannot seem to even think what it is or what is causing it. When I hit the lock or unlock button, now instead of the fog and marker lights flashing and the car beeping, the headlights flip up then right back down and makes a horrible grinding noise, like the headlight motor is still turning although the lights are down. It also does the same thing when I turn the headlights off, they go down and make a bad grinding noise, it seems to be comming from the drivers side headlight, but im not 100% on that. I cannot figure out what it is, and I do not want to damage the headlight motor or anything else, plus I would really like for my keyless to go back to normal. Does anyone have any idea what it could be and how to stop it?
Old 05-04-2008, 02:44 AM
TECH Addict

See which side it is coming from and replace the motor or the gear either one. Lots of people just get a brass gear to replace the stock plastic one
Old 05-04-2008, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

only half of the gear is being used, I flipped my stock gear around and now its like new.. there is a post on here somewhere that shows how to do it.
sounds to me thats your problem
Old 05-04-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

mine does the same thing but for only like 4-5 seconds then stops?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

This is what needs to be done-

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl....htm#FreeGuide
Old 05-04-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Go to the Firebird section and there is a sticky thread about how to fix the head light. I did it and worked great!
Old 05-04-2008, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Be carefull about flipping the gear over. On mine, the housing had loosened up, allowing the worm gear to pull away from the round gear. Flipped over, or replaced with a brass gear, it didnt matter, it was skipping either way. I had to replace the motor.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the help guys, im a bit relieved to find its a common problem so I didn't have to go around to shops to find whats wrong. Im gonna try and fix it soon, thanks for the link aswell!

Quick Reply: Headlights making grinding noise when I turn them off or lock car - What can it be???