General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

z28 1SC ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default z28 1SC ??'s

hey guys im looking into my first ls1. and i found a z28 1sc package ( the stripper package) and i was wondering how rare these cars are? and also anybody know what specifically is not included in this package. i know it has crank windows and manual locks, but is there anything else??? and does anybody have any opinions about them, good/bad????

thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

prolly no t-tops, base radio, manual mirrors, windows, and locks, opinion, great drag strip car
Old 05-12-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by benji's_z28
hey guys im looking into my first ls1. and i found a z28 1sc package ( the stripper package) and i was wondering how rare these cars are? and also anybody know what specifically is not included in this package. i know it has crank windows and manual locks, but is there anything else??? and does anybody have any opinions about them, good/bad????

thanks
Just be sure before you buy, that after the novelty wears off, will you really be glad you saved what fifty pounds if that by not having power windows/locks, and maybe no ac.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

well it will sit in a garage i always drive with the windows down and its no big deal to reach over and unlock/lock the door. i found it for what i believe is a good deal. with 52,000 miles perfect condition. Hooker LT's and exhaust for $11,600. Red, and M6 all i need
Old 05-12-2008, 08:19 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by benji's_z28
does anybody have any opinions about them, good/bad????

Yeah, my opinion is that you should tell me where it is so I can buy it out from under you.

I have one and love it. Mine has single CD Monsoon and PS cooler. Otherwise ZERO options. No fog lights, no rear defrost, manual everything, no body side moldings even.

Shooter_Jay, they all have A/C, even 1SC cars. It was standard during the LS1 model years.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TWS
Shooter_Jay, they all have A/C, even 1SC cars. It was standard during the LS1 model years.
oh cool. hey nice collection you got there
Old 05-12-2008, 10:14 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
oh cool. hey nice collection you got there
Thanks. It's an addiction.

My stripper hasn't been on the road for about a year and a half. It's stored at a buddy's shop and I've gone out there every few months to put a battery and a little fresh gas in it and take it up and down the country road where he's located. Don't "need" it, but I love it... so I can't get rid of it.

In addition to being a stripper, it's Bright Blue Metallic, so it's a doubly rare car. Nobody besides me probably cares, but beauty is in the eye of the key holder.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get power EVERYTHING. Strippers(except the girls) suck IMO. my truck is a stripper minus the A/C and V8 w/ 4wd but otherwise it's manual EVERYTHING including transmission and to shift into 4wd. I HATE having to reach over and get the lock and window if i want them down and not having power locks in the rain and snow although i know you won't have the snow issue i elect you get a loaded car. For $11500 your not really getting a good deal for something that's not loaded. If your looking for a race vehicle it's a good starter but idk, it's your car~Cole~
Old 05-13-2008, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Mines a stripper, no options but the rear defroster, and I love it
Old 05-13-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine is a 45k mile motor, red, power everything and it was only 8k. You decide.

They ARE rare. But rare doesn't always mean valuable.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:59 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

[QUOTE=ColeTrains'96Z28;9351186]Get power EVERYTHING. Strippers(except the girls) suck IMO. my truck is a stripper minus the A/C and V8 w/ 4wd but otherwise it's manual EVERYTHING including transmission and to shift into 4wd. I HATE having to reach over and get the lock and window if i want them down and not having power locks in the rain and snow[QUOTE]

Cole, I disagree. It's one thing to talk about a stripper truck and another to talk about a stripper performance car. A stripper car is lighter, simpler (no f'ing window motors to go out etc), and is more "pure" IMHO. A stripper truck, like as in a DD, would just be annoying. My Silverado HD has power everything, even passenger seat, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Taking 100 lbs of crap off an F-body makes a slight perf difference, taking it off a truck is not noticeable, not in a positive sense... you would just notice the lack of creature comforts.

Last time my house had snow on it was 2004. Go Texas.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:03 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vicinity
They ARE rare. But rare doesn't always mean valuable.

I don't think anybody is telling him to pay more for a stripper. I know I paid LESS. I used it as a bargaining chip. I actually wanted the car very much because it was a stripper, but I put on a poker face and acted like I was your average lazy *** who didn't want to roll down their own window of move their own seat lever. Because most people want loads of options, the guy was having a hard time selling the car. I negotiated him down $2500 from his asking price. Car was/still is in beautiful shape and had no problems at the time.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well like i said if that's what he wants and wants to pay that then more power to him. just saying that IMO i wouldn't want it but i see the appeal of them as well. I couldn't imagine my Vette not having all the options lol **** it didn't have HUD as an option for '98 but i added it to it. HAHA~Cole
Old 05-15-2008, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02silvaZ
prolly no t-tops, base radio, manual mirrors, windows, and locks, opinion, great drag strip car
Also GREAT autocross/road race cars!

And as TWS said; NO power window/mirror motors to worry about, NO leaking t-tops, lowest possible weight (which also helps MPG IF that is a concern).

And yes, ALL LS1 4th gens (I also believe even the LT1s) could ONLY be had with a/c, there was no air delete like on the 3rd gen 1LEs.

As far as the radio is concerned; if you were going to replace any of the factory available systems anyway (or when they died), it dosen't matter if you have the base Monsoon.
A good aftermarket head unit with decent replacement speakers is lighter than the Monsoon anyway (as long as you avoid heavy aftermarket amps/subs, etc.).

If I wanted a luxury car, I would have bought a Caddy.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

ah.. Power windows are nice for DD. My ws6 was loaded, and I really like all the options. If your purpose for buying the car is for a track car, then go for it. Otherwise, the creature comforts are really nice and i wouldn't dismiss them as unnecessary.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:50 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Also GREAT autocross/road race cars!

And yes, ALL LS1 4th gens (I also believe even the LT1s) could ONLY be had with a/c, there was no air delete like on the 3rd gen 1LEs.
Minor point and irrelevant to his search, but I'm pretty positive that LT1 1LE could be ordered without A/C. However, on all LS1 era F-bodies, even RPO 1LE, A/C came standard.

Agree with the rest of your post.

Now, my stripper is not currently a DD, but it was my DD for 2.5 years. There was one or two times were I was annoyed I couldn't roll down my passenger side window for something, but otherwise I enjoyed the lighter and tighter feel of a nearly zero option car. On long cross-country trips the lack of cruise control would have bothered me, but I rarely took it out of town... so it didn't.