General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Dang, I JUST realized something about newer Vettes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Dang, I JUST realized something about newer Vettes

....the ENTIRE hood/fender doesnt raise up, only the hood lol.

Man Ive been looking at these cars for years and never gave it much thought. To me this was one of the best features of the Vette and a real conversation piece. Its so cool to open the hood and see the frame of the vehicle and the top of the tire. Pople often comment on how this makes it look like a F1 car.

Did GM change this for any performance,cost or cosmetic reason ? They should bring that styling cue back if possible. Hell we already lost the flip up headlights.(but I understand why).
Old 05-17-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

yea...GM does that to sell more cars. The typical vette buyer is a male between 35-50 with an income of 120,000 + now im not saying ALL but MOST of the people now a days who buy vettes dont know anything about the history of the car and could care less, they just want a "cool" looking car that is nice and shows some status. My manager at work has a 71 vette and hates newer vettes for that very reason that its well lets just say they changed over the years. He always says if you put a new vette and a ferarri next to each other and debadge them your average person could not tell them apart.

To make a long post short, GM does that on purpose to stay with whats "in" to sell cars
Old 05-18-2008, 02:17 AM
Teching In

I agree that it seems like people are buying Vettes as a "status" symbol, and I hate that notion personally. If it were up to me people would have to pass a automotive history test before they could buy one lol. As I said , I can POSSIBLY understand why GM did away with the flip headlights.....warranty costs etc.

But to me seeing the entire front end of the car lift up was/IS something very special about these cars. I mean, Ive lifted my hood a hundred times and get a kick out of it everytime.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i do like that about like the C4's versus my C5 But i still love my C5
Old 05-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
i do like that about like the C4's versus my C5 But i still love my C5
Oh dont get me wrong, the C5's are a beautiful car, as is all Vettes. To me that design cue just added a mountain of sex appeal and wow factor.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

they did away with that for the viper too....odd

anyways i like how the corvette had ended up! i was watching a LeMans race today and it brings a tear to my eye to see see other countries say they are gunnin for the vette this year. shows that yes american cars can turn too(and the SBC is the king of engines)
Old 05-19-2008, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok, I'm not getting what flip up headlights or front end really have to do with heratige...older vettes had neither.

Personally, ditching flip up headlights is the best thing to happen to the vette for the c6. Flip up lights are gay looking when they're open, and a pain in *** in general.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
yea...GM does that to sell more cars. The typical vette buyer is a male between 35-50 with an income of 120,000 + now im not saying ALL but MOST of the people now a days who buy vettes dont know anything about the history of the car and could care less, they just want a "cool" looking car that is nice and shows some status. My manager at work has a 71 vette and hates newer vettes for that very reason that its well lets just say they changed over the years. He always says if you put a new vette and a ferarri next to each other and debadge them your average person could not tell them apart.

To make a long post short, GM does that on purpose to stay with whats "in" to sell cars

Its a business. GM is in it to make money. People who buy the car for "status" are the only reason the car is currently being produced. Without them, there would be no vette because there would be no market for them.

No offense guys, but the vette's relavent market is not blue collar guys. Its those guys that make the big bucks and haven't turned a wrench before. Not to say that it is exclusively so, but its $65K price tag puts it out of the everyday man's budget.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Ok, I'm not getting what flip up headlights or front end really have to do with heratige...older vettes had neither.

Personally, ditching flip up headlights is the best thing to happen to the vette for the c6. Flip up lights are gay looking when they're open, and a pain in *** in general.
I'm with this guy, but still kinda confused what you mean about the whole front end raising up?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dmart
I'm with this guy, but still kinda confused what you mean about the whole front end raising up?
on c4s the fenders and hood raised up as one unit
Old 05-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Didn't really think about it
Old 05-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Teching In

I dont believe I said anything about heritage. Im just talking about the "wow factor" of it all. I think "gay" is a strong word to describe the looks, but I agree they didnt exactly flow with the rest of the car.

I also understand the warranty/maintenance cost involved with them. But hey its a Vette, they are expensive any way you slice it.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dmart

Yup. Its just gives/gave them a badass look when you popped the hood. Incredibly unique when compared with other cars.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, it's kind of like a 'clamshell' front clip.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant think of a time when a new vette was not a "status" car and priced above what joe sixpack could afford, including the years when the vette was a 170hp piece of crap (late 70s, early 80s).
Old 05-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fryrice
....the ENTIRE hood/fender doesnt raise up, only the hood lol.

Man Ive been looking at these cars for years and never gave it much thought. To me this was one of the best features of the Vette and a real conversation piece. Its so cool to open the hood and see the frame of the vehicle and the top of the tire. Pople often comment on how this makes it look like a F1 car.

Did GM change this for any performance,cost or cosmetic reason ? They should bring that styling cue back if possible. Hell we already lost the flip up headlights.(but I understand why).
The design changed in 1997! Have you been under a rock for the past 12 years????????
Old 05-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FL_BILL
The design changed in 1997! Have you been under a rock for the past 12 years????????

Noooooo shat Sherlock. lol