General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

front drive LSx question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default front drive LSx question

I looked around but didn't really find the answer I was looking for and and don't think anyone has thought about it. (I doubt this).

How much different is the front drive in the old GTPs and Monte SS (s/c 3.8s) and the newer GXP's and Monte SS?

Could a swap be possible? That would be a nice little sleeper kinda. Weren't those lighter?
Old 06-10-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rwd > fwd
Old 06-10-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I see what you are saying, and it would be sweet, rwd LS.
Someone on the interent took a Grand Am and made it RWD with an LS engine.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's not at all what he's talking about....he wants to put the LS4 front drive V8 into an older front drive Grand Prix or Monte Carlo.

I think it would be possible and pretty freakin sweet. Those motors are wide though, you may have to do some massaging of the firewall, inner fenders, etc....
Old 06-11-2008, 06:07 AM
12 Second Club

the ls4 is already narrowed a lil bit compared to the rest of the LS series, i have no clue what you gotta do to make it fit though.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by spy2520
the ls4 is already narrowed a lil bit compared to the rest of the LS series, i have no clue what you gotta do to make it fit though.
Actually the LS4 is not narrowed itself, it shares the same block as the LS2 but with a narrowed crank to accomodate a more compact accessory drive.

Ya an LS4 should fit in an older W-body with minor massaging. I don't know if anyone has already done this but I know there are a few W-body's running around with Northstar motors. So if the Northstar fits, and since the LS4 is meant for the W-body I'm sure it can be done. The better question is is it cost efficient. Your best bet is to find an LS4 powered vehicle in a scrap yard so you have all the parts you need to make it work.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Junkie

it would be cheaper to build the gtp. my 02 would run with a stock v8 impala ss, and all i had was exhaust work
Old 06-20-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSWS6
Actually the LS4 is not narrowed itself, it shares the same block as the LS2 but with a narrowed crank to accomodate a more compact accessory drive.

Ya an LS4 should fit in an older W-body with minor massaging. I don't know if anyone has already done this but I know there are a few W-body's running around with Northstar motors. So if the Northstar fits, and since the LS4 is meant for the W-body I'm sure it can be done. The better question is is it cost efficient. Your best bet is to find an LS4 powered vehicle in a scrap yard so you have all the parts you need to make it work.
Thats pretty sweet. I had no idea.

So the Northstar mates up to the front transaxle in the GTP? or the whole front drivetrain swaps over?

I was just thinking about this the other day because I saw a GTP for sale for pretty cheap and had super high miles on it.

Although in doing this swap the car wouldn't have to be a GTP or MC SS/SC.

I've seen from pretty fast turbo 3.8 GTPs.

Quick Reply: front drive LSx question