General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant issues

Whenever I checked the coolant level in my car a few days ago the coolant "stick" showed that the normal level of coolant was in the car for it being cold. Whenever I checked the level in the radiator it was significantly low. I filled the radiator and drove 90 highway miles and checked it again and it was somewhat low. There is no leak visible under the car. Anyone know what is going on or am i worrying about nothing. Car runs at normal operating temp.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't pay attention to the overfill. Empty it out and fill it regularly thats about it. My level never ever changes. Make sure the radiator itself is full. When the car is cold, open the cap and start the engine. Let it warm up and make sure its full and there is no air in the system.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

i've filled up the radiator a couple times and driven it and im pretty sure all the air is out and the level drops
Old 10-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The pressure cap is special and has a relief that lets air in to the radiator as the system cools, which prevents a vacuum from building up and collapsing the radiator. (So, the only place you can really tell if the system is "full" is at the overflow reservoir.)

If things really look funky at the pressure cap, you might go ahead and replace it. (I'd suggest going with a GM version and not an aftermarket version.) The mechanism in the cap wears out and might be letting in too much?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Related to cooling, does anyone have any issues or know what the issue is with the radiator hoses wanting to pop off? A few months ago, the left radiator hose slipped off, spewing coolant everywhere. I fixed that and now yesterday, the right radiator hose almost slipped off, but came loose enough to spew coolant everywhere. It's like the pressure is too high or something.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:01 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Formulals187
Whenever I checked the coolant level in my car a few days ago the coolant "stick" showed that the normal level of coolant was in the car for it being cold. Whenever I checked the level in the radiator it was significantly low. I filled the radiator and drove 90 highway miles and checked it again and it was somewhat low. There is no leak visible under the car. Anyone know what is going on or am i worrying about nothing. Car runs at normal operating temp.
If your system is holding pressure, good cap and no visible external leaks....you most likely have a blown head gasket(s). See if there is any coolant coming out of the tailpipes when you rev it sitting still in "Park". Or if you can smell coolant back there coming out on your hand when you rev it.

How many miles do you have?

Do you have any overheating at all, with boiling of the coolant?

Get a pressure check done. Just know that if you do have a blown head gasket and you do a pressure check you could fill a cylinder with coolant, then when you start it you can hydralock your engine, damaging it pretty bad. So take all the spark plugs out for the pressure check and make sure coolant isn't sitting in any of the cylinders.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Qcon
Related to cooling, does anyone have any issues or know what the issue is with the radiator hoses wanting to pop off? A few months ago, the left radiator hose slipped off, spewing coolant everywhere. I fixed that and now yesterday, the right radiator hose almost slipped off, but came loose enough to spew coolant everywhere. It's like the pressure is too high or something.
You should lose pressure through the cap before a hose pops off, thats weird. I think the caps are rated at around 18psi.

Check the clamps, maybe get some new ones.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

the car isn't overheating at all, its running at about 210 or less on long highway stretches, the car has 40,000 miles on it
Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Banned

the car isn't overheating at all, its running at about 210 or less on long highway stretches, the car has 40,000 miles on it
You probably have a blown head gasket or other gasket that its leaking from than. 210 is a little hot when on the highway.

Have you started the engine when its cold with the radiator cap off...wait for the t-stat to open and keep topping it off for a few cycles of the t-stat opening and closing?
Old 10-27-2008, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

how can you tell when the thermostat opens or closes, i've never paid attention to that
Old 10-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Banned

how can you tell when the thermostat opens or closes, i've never paid attention to that
Yes. Take your cap off when the engine is dead cold. Start it up and stand there until you see the coolant start to flow, maybe 10-15 minutes at idle and it'll get hot enough for the t-stat to open. You will see the coolant start to flow right inside the radiator fill cap.

As the hot coolant from the engine/heads starts to trade places with the cooler coolant that was sitting in the radiator, the t-stat will slowly close as that cooler coolant makes it full circle and starts to flow across the open t-stat. Then when it closes you will see the flow stop.

As the level drops during the entire process, keep topping it off with distilled water or Dexcool. Preferably water, you would rather have more water than Dexcool in there.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:48 AM
12 Second Club

Anyone know where i can get a gm radiator cap?
Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 AM
Banned

Go to Pep Boys and get the cap with the pressure release lever on it.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

gmpartsdirect.com had the best price when I got my lastone.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

so i got a new cap and i let my coolant cycle a few times and refilled the coolant but yet after i drove 10 miles yesterday the coolant level was down to the coil in the radiator, any ideas? After i shut the car off, i checked it 2 hours later and the coolant level had dropped more, nothing visible underneath the car, and the exhaust doesn't smell anywhere close to coolant. Also the reservoir is super full

Last edited by Formulals187; 11-06-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Banned

so i got a new cap and i let my coolant cycle a few times and refilled the coolant but yet after i drove 10 miles yesterday the coolant level was down to the coil in the radiator, any ideas? After i shut the car off, i checked it 2 hours later and the coolant level had dropped more, nothing visible underneath the car, and the exhaust doesn't smell anywhere close to coolant. Also the reservoir is super full
The reservoir shouldn't be full? Was it low to begin with and it got full after the drive?

You could still have a blown head gasket and that small amount of coolant you're losing wouldn't be noticable to the nose.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

before the drive the radiator and the reservoir were full, after the drive the reservoir was more full and the radiator level dropped below the top coil (visible from the top of the radiator)
Old 11-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Banned

before the drive the radiator and the reservoir were full, after the drive the reservoir was more full and the radiator level dropped below the top coil (visible from the top of the radiator)
Well thats good. Then maybe the head gaskets are fine.

A bad radiator cap will allow coolant to go into the reservoir. Maybe the new cap is bad.

Are you running hot? Maybe you should stop by a dealership or parts place and have them scan so you know what the real temp of the coolant is. Sounds like excess pressure is pushing coolant into your reservoir.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Banned

I'd put it on a lift after its up to temp, and after topping the coolant off, and with a flashlight look for leaks all around the plastic part of the radiator and hoses. You could have a hairline leak that would be friggin hard to see just be looking under the car.

As you cool the pressure rises a little in the coolant system, then it begins to drop off slowly. Maybe it just squirts out when the pressure is climbing after you walk away.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

the cap should be brand new, and had the car idle at operating temp today and rolled around under there and there was nothing leaking