General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rattle from up front

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unhappy Rattle from up front

This is a shot in the dark, but here goes:

From 1600~1700 RPM I have a rattling sound that is coming from the front of the car. It does it driving, or sitting still and bringing it to that RPM from Idle. Id doesnt matter on the temp, or engine load. In my mind it sounds like a damn bearing... but it only does it at that RPM.

Now, I do have a lifter pecking, but this noise it seperate (130k miles on everything). At first when I noticed it I suspected it to be one of my V band clamps on my header collector that had started to come loose, and I had a little exhaust leak so I didnt think anything of it. After tightening the clamps on my headers the exhaust leak got better, but the rattling is the same. The best way to describe the noise is to compare it to a rattling catylitic converter shield... but I don't have cats The volume of the rattle is the same as a cat shield, but oriented more toward the front of the car.

Would a main bearing or some other type of bearing make noise all the time? BTW, I have great oil pressure all the time. Freakin mystery rattle

Any help would be great!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a bunch of other random heat shields on these cars, I'd check them all out.

BTW, you wouldn't know how to shut up a rattling cat do you? Besides replace it...
Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the heat shield is rattling on a cat then usually ony of the little welds holding it onto the cat has come loose. Some people rip em off, others find a way to fasten it back down. Im pretty sure the shield plays a role in keeping the cat hot enough to function properly... so ripping them off may not be the answer.

As I recall, about every one of those damn shields has been removed for one reason or another. If I can, I will put the car in the air and look around. It still has me worried though. Any more ideas