General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car died @ WOT, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car died @ WOT, won't start

I was on the freeway mering to the car pool and the engine just shut off and lost all power. When I turn it over it sounds like it wants to start but it doesnt. I thought it may be a fail safe and the comp shut down fuel and spark but I dont know.
Whats a spun bearing sound like? Theres no tapping, no fluids out the bottom and the bay looks fine. Its at the tow yard for the night, Im going to take a scan tool down and see if it threw any codes then go from there to a dealership or CMS. If its broke its time for a new bottom end since I just got done with the top end with 01 Z06 heads p/p with all the goodies.
Car has full bolt ons and suspension and top end. Bottom end is the only thing that doesnt have any new parts on it with 117,000 miles.
So if its a spun bearing how much?
How much is a bullet proof bottom end with labor?
I just got done with all my mods and was just settleling in to some real fun.
I know theres not alot of info on the situation but if the high whine that proceeded the shut down is typical of a certain symptom Id like to hear it so maybe when I go there in the morning I can do a couple quick checks to try and narrow it down.
For now Im driving my wifes boring Vue....
Old 10-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Launching!

dont jump the gun and just think its an internal engine prob. Sounds like you may have a fuel pump issue. Could you still here the pump prime when you turned the key on when it wouldnt start. There are alot of other electrical / sensor problems that it probobly is over an internal engine issue. Just check your codes and let us know what you find.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

timing chain maybe? or definately a fuel problem
Old 10-31-2008, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

went and checked it out this morning, the truck driver left the lights on all night so it was dead and there were no codes stored. I just put in a new racetronix set up in, hard wired and everything.
I tried to start it and it back fired right off and had a faint smell of fuel so I am having them tow it to the dealership so they can maybe get into any stored codes and charge the battery. The timing chain was replaced with a double when I had the heads/cam package done. When I tried to turn it over it cranked but didnt sound right and I didnt want to just keep trying to save anything if its a big deal.
So what would happen if the timing chain went? It sounded like there was a high spin off before the car shut off. There was no stuff under the car,oil/fluid...shold be interesting what the dealership says.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

dealership says its getting spark and fuel so going to look internally and run some tests on Mon. Bill is already 360.00...gulp....
Old 10-31-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sic2001
dealership says its getting spark and fuel so going to look internally and run some tests on Mon. Bill is already 360.00...gulp....

Damn and that is why I don't take my car to the dealership