General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Decent amount of gray smoke at WOT. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent amount of gray smoke at WOT. Normal?

First off, I didn't actually see the smoke since I was driving but my friend behind me did.

My car has 38k on the clock and runs great. I baby the car mainly since I daily drive it, but every once in a while I open it up just a little.

The other day I opened it up on the highway until about 110. My friend noticed what he said was a good amount of gray smoke when I first got on it. Can this be carbon build up? Should I be worried?

Second... is it really bad to baby your car too much? How often should I get on the car if I drive it daily? I heard some things about babying a car and how it can be bad. When I drive it to commute around, I usually shift right around 2,000 rpms, sometimes a bit lower.

I should also note that after that initial time, I drove pretty hard on the car for the rest of the day and didn't notice anymore smoke. Then again, it is hard to look back and try to see smoke while driving.

Last edited by Jigen; 11-06-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Grey smoke is carbon build up. Nothing to worry about. Blue smoke is oil burning. Black smoke is too much fuel.

I have a 3 mile double passing lane right before I get to the turn off for home. The rest of my daily drive is 2 lane, no pass. I like to open her up on that last passing lane a couple times a week on the way home. Usually try to ease off about 120. But it wants to keep going. I've done 140 before I ran out of passing lane and had to merge.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigen
First off, I didn't actually see the smoke since I was driving but my friend behind me did.

My car has 38k on the clock and runs great. I baby the car mainly since I daily drive it, but every once in a while I open it up just a little.

The other day I opened it up on the highway until about 110. My friend noticed what he said was a good amount of gray smoke when I first got on it. Can this be carbon build up? Should I be worried?

Second... is it really bad to baby your car too much? How often should I get on the car if I drive it daily? I heard some things about babying a car and how it can be bad. When I drive it to commute around, I usually shift right around 2,000 rpms, sometimes a bit lower.

I should also note that after that initial time, I drove pretty hard on the car for the rest of the day and didn't notice anymore smoke. Then again, it is hard to look back and try to see smoke while driving.
Carbon???? I suppose it could be.

When you nail the throttle and get a cloud of smoke from a cruising speed, and then that cloud slowly clears up as you continue to accelerate, is usually bad valve seals.

Go do that a few more times, if you get that cloud when you stomp the pedal and then it clears, you pretty much know its the seals.

You can get a leakdown check done too.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 99 GT mustang looks like a diesel going down the road....lol runs hella rich..

My trans am puffs black when I romp on it but clears rite up.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not normal but wont destroy anything.