General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Clicking sound when i turn the steering wheel??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 161 Likes on 140 Posts

Angry Clicking sound when i turn the steering wheel??

I just pulled my 02 WS6 TA into my garage and for the first time ever, I noticed a clicking sound when I turned the wheel to maneuver in. After I shut the engine down, I turned the steering wheel slightly left and right and I can now hear a clicking sound coming from inside the column . Even my wife could hear it when she was standing outside of the car. Its noticeable and it is definitely coming from inside the column.

This just started and I've never heard anything like it in my life (in any car) and I've been driving for 28 years. AAAAArrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh . Please help!

BTW, I did a search and found two threads from June 06 that I couldn't open up.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like either the clock spring or something is broken in your turn signal assembly. If you aren't familiar with it, the clock spring is the piece that allows your wiring to go through the steering column for the radio controls, horn, and air bag. Not too hard to replace, but you would need a puller to get the steering wheel off to access it. Just be careful with the airbag, those things can be dangerous.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 161 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks, JZ. I just went back out to the car to hear what it is doing. It seems to make the clicking sound when I turn the wheel to the left more so than to the right. I know that probably doesn't mean much.

I'm so tired of my stuff breaking. My heat pump gave out this morning and I had to call a heating and a/c guy to come look at it. He got my heat running but the bill is going to be about $800.

Last night I noticed that my brand new computer monitor had a dead pixel.

My two computers' KVM switch is bad and needs to be returned to the store.

My Mustang idles too high and I can't seem to find the cause.

My iBook G4 laptop quit working 4 days ago.

My over-the-stove microwave quit working last week .
Old 12-13-2008, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, get a missile launcher and shoot down that dark cloud that is hovering over your house. If your noise is fairly loud I would say there is something wrong with your turn signal assembly. The clockspring CAN make noise, but usually it is almost impossible to hear and by that point your steering wheel controls and stuff would have stopped working anyway.

Quick Reply: Clicking sound when i turn the steering wheel??