General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fingers crossed for insurance claim

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thumbs down Fingers crossed for insurance claim

This car sucks. Its such as POS..okay i have to fill up the damn power steering fluid 3-4 times a week. Ive looked countless times and still cannot find out where its leaking from. My brights will not come on for some reason. I pull back on the blinker and nothing happens. Not even the blue bright symbol on the dash..Ok WTF? Oh no, yes there is more. I changed the A/C belt 4 days ago..Oh my guess what? Its squeaking like F*%# micky mouse! There is a clunk coming from what seems like under the passanger side rear seat. I have no idea where this could be coming from. LCA's maybe? Im not sure but i hope somebody hits me and totals this POS out

Last edited by z28_YOU_HO; 12-23-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power steering - There has to be a leak somewhere look harder

Highbeams Check the circuit for power Proly the High beam relay had one of thoose go bad before

Belt is proly out of alignment or you have a pulley hanging up

Clunk get under the car with a rubber mallet and see if you can make the sound while hitting stuff
Old 12-22-2008, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

very good points i just dont feel like messing with it anymore. The dash just recently cracked also The only thing that REALLY is pissing me off is the power steering.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like lack of maintenance
Old 12-22-2008, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by F3RR3T
Old 12-22-2008, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

The AC squeal is most likely the idler pulley. Pull it off, pop the seal out of it and repack it with grease. Clunk under pass. seat - y-pipe banging maybe? PS, most likely a pinhole leak in the high pressure line.

Not to sound like a dick, but there isn't such a thing as a zero maintenence vehicle. You have a nearly 10 year old car, **** is going to break. I just had to replace the engine & transmission in my 91', you don't hear me bitching. It beats the hell out of a car payment on a new car that will start breaking sooner or later.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28_YOU_HO
very good points i just dont feel like messing with it anymore. The dash just recently cracked also The only thing that REALLY is pissing me off is the power steering.
Tell me about it I was going to swap a lt1 into my thirdgen when I found this car and bought it ,

3 weeks latter clutch snaps , fixed it then 2 weeks opti went out and I just let it sit for awhile cause I was sick of messing with it
Old 12-22-2008, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 86 IROC
The AC squeal is most likely the idler pulley. Pull it off, pop the seal out of it and repack it with grease. Clunk under pass. seat - y-pipe banging maybe? PS, most likely a pinhole leak in the high pressure line.

Not to sound like a dick, but there isn't such a thing as a zero maintenence vehicle. You have a nearly 10 year old car, **** is going to break. I just had to replace the engine & transmission in my 91', you don't hear me bitching. It beats the hell out of a car payment on a new car that will start breaking sooner or later.
I will probably spend my christmas day off trying to fix a few things. I dont think its the y pipe the clunk is coming from what sounds like the rear passanger side wheel area.

Im going to try to find ALL new power steering lines.
Shoot me a PM if any of your guys have any..Or have a new dash for sale.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the time they crack at the the big piece next to the windshield and it is CHEAP. Where is your crack.... pics maybe......
Old 12-22-2008, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

Wanna Sell It? Lol J/k Just relax and start with one thing at a time.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=kdavis;10710014]Wanna Sell It? Lol J/k Just relax and start with one thing at a time.[/QUOTE

I agree looks like a sweet car .... Hugger orange is aaaaaaalmost sex ..... And SS's have better lips to kiss tha T/A's. Just sounds like some minor PIA **** and after that she"ll be a head turning car. He just needs to decide to fix it or get rid of it to somebody who will cause as good as that car looks somebody will do the right thing ( and then you'll be pissed haha)....

Either way the car deserves a little TLC......
Old 12-23-2008, 01:48 AM
Teching In

For the clunk, check your rubber exhaust hangers on the muffler. If one is stretched, the exhaust will bang where it goes over the axle. Happened to my 00 V6 Firebird.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

thanks for the responses. I'll get some pics up of the dash when i go on break. Work owns me right now. The only reason im pissed about this car is because of the clunk and the power steering leak. I know it can be fixed but i work and go to school full time. I dont really have a lot of time to mess with it. The white leather seats are also

Originally Posted by Castratikon
For the clunk, check your rubber exhaust hangers on the muffler. If one is stretched, the exhaust will bang where it goes over the axle. Happened to my 00 V6 Firebird.
I dont think its the exhaust hanger. Ive changed my catback 2 times on the car. Im gonna go bang around with a rubber mallet and see if I can find anything like someone also suggested.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by F3RR3T
It does.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Teching In

if you have the factory ps cooler in the upper radiator hose it might be leaking into the coolant. I had that problem on my car, those coolers are notorious for that. Check the coolant in the rad and the overflow, when the ps and coolant mix it forms some nasty goop.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Just replaced the high pressure line hopefully that fixed the steering fluid leak. I actually got a lot taken care of today. Re installed my rear iso's sits a little nicer now. I think the clunk might be the result of a bad shock. Going to replace those next. What's a good fairly inexpensive shock?
Old 12-23-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

My power steering line leaked but you could'nt see the split in it until i power washed it.You would'nt want to get ride of you car would you.I'm thinking on getting ride of mine and trading for a older car and some cash from the person i trade with.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Ah drew I know exactly how you feel man...and I sure do wish that sometimes I had my other car back but hell it's not lack of maintence it's just sometimes a luck of the draw on what is a good car and one that's been treated like **** before you owned it too...good luck though let me know what you end up doing with the pumpkin though lol...have a good christmas too if I don't see or talk to you in the next few days.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go with a manual steering rack and delete the power steering pump. that will stop the leak for sure.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

clunking in the rear can be a lot of stuff.
you have aftermarket lca's?

when was the last time you injected grease into the zerk fitting?
they get loose too - tighten the bolt on the body side to 80ft lbs. i've had clunking for both those reasons. also, make sure shock bolts are tight.