General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Possible short?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible short?

I've got an '02 Z28 and I've been having a few issues, firstly I keep blowing the right turn signal bulb, I've replaced them several times and they keep blowing. I've given up. Secondly the fuses keep blowing for my AC so the pump won't work and it just blows out air. Another issue I've been having is the lights flicker and the other night driving home from work in my instrument cluster half of the speedometer was really dim and then it brightened itself. Please guys, some good help and advice would greatly be appreciated.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked the fuses? Might need some fuse replacement! You can also post this in the electronics section for better info regarding your issue.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Probably different issues...

Originally Posted by sebastianroher
I've got an '02 Z28 and I've been having a few issues, firstly I keep blowing the right turn signal bulb, I've replaced them several times and they keep blowing. I've given up.
Check for water in the lens housing. They take a beating from road debris, will crack, and let in water. Once that water is in the lens and it hits a hot bulb, it will blow every time. (And might even shatter.)

Secondly the fuses keep blowing for my AC so the pump won't work and it just blows out air.
This is going to be harder. Probably just need to trace it out.

Another issue I've been having is the lights flicker and the other night driving home from work in my instrument cluster half of the speedometer was really dim and then it brightened itself.
Next time this happens, check your voltage gauge. Your alternator might not be happy.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I haven't been on in a while, long 10 hour days in the Navy lol. Anyways, I think there might be some moisture in that lens housing, do you know how I fix that problem? Secondly the alternator seems to be doing it's job, the voltage is always good... Lastly, I replaced the fuses for the A/C and they just keep blowing...for some reason I feel like there's a short somewhere....
Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

For the lens, you have to replace the whole unit. As a temporary band-aid, you can drill a weep hole in the bottom face of the lens and then cover the crack with colored lens tape. If you press on the face of the lens, that should expose the crack.

On the undervoltage, it will help if you can reliably recreate the problem.

For the A/C, it definitely sounds like a short. I'd start by disconnecting the A/C unit to isolate it and confirm the wires are good.

Quick Reply: Possible short?