General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car sat 14 months, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car sat 14 months, now what?

i live in olrando florida. 14months ago on november 17th during classic weekend down here, i was driving down the 408 and blew a head gasket. i pulled to a stop immediately and shut the car off. i had it towed to my house and started saving to repair it. and then financial troubles hit. and so it sat 6 months while i was broke. then i started earning money again and decided, since it sat that long, it'd be better to upgrade when i get it running, i mean, it's going to be apart anyway right? ok, so, applied more stay-bil to the gas and started saving for parts. i have all my gaskets and bolts. everything but fluids for the job. i'm getting rid of my gasket-matched stock heads and going with 243's. i have a TR 224 224 114 lsa hot cam. i'm going to swap the springs over to the new heads and save for an intake later. fast 9090. the head gasket blew because the car was running very rich and untuned for longer than i care to admit.

now, i'm going to get it running again. and i'm mailing off for the tune. besides, that, since the car was not run, i think the bearings should be ok. i'm getting new valves in the 243 heads.

car is a 99 camaro LS1, 75k miles, A4 (t56 is the next mod after this is done) TR 224 224 114 lsa hot cam, hooker longtubes, x pipe duals, spintec exhaust that stps just befor ethe rear axel.. oh and richmond 3.73's.

besides draining the gas, tuning the car like i should have in the first place , replacing the battery, what else should i do? i need help, i'm tackling this in a week or so.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good that you're draining the old gas. You can if you want to, but I wouldn't do a mail order tune. You have people in your area that can do a great job on a dyno or on the street. Mike Norris, Macedo Motorsports to name two.

Do the fuel filter after you run a can of Sea Foam through a tank of gas too.
Both Belts.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the battery has had a deep cycle charge for at least 5 hours before putting it in so you don't stress the alternator when you first fire it up.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

pardon my ignorance but, what is "sea foam"?

what about the hoses? besides, the belts, should i change out the hoses too? i know the battery is dead, i'm going to replace it. sitting that long with the alarm on, it's been dead for a while. i removed it already due to corrosion.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

With a 10 year old car replacing the hoses would not be wasting your money, but personally if they don't have any soft spots, bloated areas, or they aren't soaked with oil, I would not bother.

Doing the head/cam swap you are changing everything I would change on a car sitting for a long time. And since you will have the heads off the cylinders will get wiped down with oil, only other thing I would do is to prime the oil system to ensure you have positive oil pressure as soon as it starts.

Re'
Old 01-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

re' i just looked through your entire picture collection. you sir, and are paint and body GOD!

that SS looks so CHERRY! it's unbelievable. when i first glanced at the pics, i thought you owned three different cars!

where the hell did you get the mobile 1 engine bay sticker? absolutely stunning. just... wow.

tell me about your coil setup. never seen that one before. must be kinda rare.

did you ever get that rear dent taken care of? i'dve strangled the guy or beat him to death withthe nearest large object after all that hard work.

how long did it take you to complete the project?

Last edited by wornoutshoes; 01-26-2009 at 02:37 PM.