General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dirty O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dirty O2 Sensor

So I replaced my O2 sensor just over a year ago because it was throwing a "Slow voltage response" SES code and I just had to do it again today for the same reason.
What causes this? I took pictures of what the old one looked like with the new one next to it. Could the old one just be dirty and filled with exhaust junk? If so, is there a way to clean it out?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Dirty O2 Sensor-pic-0153.jpg  
Old 04-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The carbon build-up is normal. Put anything in the exhaust pipe for a while and it will look the same.

The sensor is not clean-able. It actually has a heating element in it that cleans build-up off the elements. (I believe two of the four wires are for this element.)

Have you ever used RTV sealant on your engine? Certain types are not sensor safe and can foul the elements.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe that any RTV sealant has been used on the engine. As for the heating element I will always, and very randomly, get an SES light that has to do with that.
A tech told me the only thing that was for was unimportant and not to worry about it.
So general what I do is just clear the code with one of those scan tools, it only happens every 6 months.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Wingman WS6
I don't believe that any RTV sealant has been used on the engine. As for the heating element I will always, and very randomly, get an SES light that has to do with that.
A tech told me the only thing that was for was unimportant and not to worry about it.
So general what I do is just clear the code with one of those scan tools, it only happens every 6 months.
Nope. The heating element is very important - it probably is your problem. You don't "need" it for the sensor to function properly, but without it - your sensor will get gummed up and won't last as long as it should.

What code is it giving you for the heading element?