General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Throwing code po118 have a few questions

Old 04-06-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throwing code po118 have a few questions

Ok so awhile ago i broke the plastic on the temp sensor and the connector on the pigtail that plugs into the sensor doing my LT install. So i just had it taped together, the temp sensor never worked but never threw any codes and ran just fine.

So jump forward to today, we change my plugs out for my n2o install and my buddy undid the tape holding the temp sensor and connector together. If you pull the connector off the sensor you can see the leads from the sensor. I used some kind of instant drying glue that comes out as a liquid and drys super fast to hold it back together better.

Worked good for about a day lol, i was driving my car then all the sudden it was acting up bad. What happened is the temp gauge all the sudden jumped to redline, the idle would stick at 3k, ses light came on reading the po118 code when i got to check it. Also the oil pressure gauge was reading lower than normal so i started kinda freaking out when seein that. I pulled over to check the idle issue and it was no where near as hot as the gauge was reading, and when trying to limp it home the car would chug really bad or cut out may be a better term. Now I was told the code mean that the car actually caused the car to think it was -30 degrees out which would explain the cutting out, as i drove the car home it seemed to cool down a bit according to the gauge and the idle didnt stick and drove ok.

Now my question to you guys is, do you think that glue could possible be conducting btw all the leads? i got a new sensor and connector on the way and im hoping it will fix the problem, but my other question is can the temp sensor if messed up cause all these issues? I was just driving the car and it was fine one min. then just instantly running like crap after throwing this code.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

Get a new sensor man. Dont jerry rig your crap together. The coolant temp sensor is the most important sensor on the car.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NBM-LS1
Get a new sensor man. Dont jerry rig your crap together. The coolant temp sensor is the most important sensor on the car.
Thats the ONLY thing i "rigged" together on my car. I did get a new sensor and ordered a new connector. At the time when I looked into replacing it, a parts store doesn't carry the pigtail that plugs into the sensor and the dealership wanted $60 for that thing. I ended up looking on ebay and got it for $14 shipped . I just wanted to know if the issues my car had could all be caused by the temp sensor?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miller456
Thats the ONLY thing i "rigged" together on my car. I did get a new sensor and ordered a new connector. At the time when I looked into replacing it, a parts store doesn't carry the pigtail that plugs into the sensor and the dealership wanted $60 for that thing. I ended up looking on ebay and got it for $14 shipped . I just wanted to know if the issues my car had could all be caused by the temp sensor?
Your connector could've been free at a junkyard. If the temp sensor pegged all the way, that means there's an open circuit. Some of that glue could "burn" through the coating of the condutors, and depending on the corrosivity of it, destroy the conductors themselves.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NonGoggleGuy
Your connector could've been free at a junkyard. If the temp sensor pegged all the way, that means there's an open circuit. Some of that glue could "burn" through the coating of the condutors, and depending on the corrosivity of it, destroy the conductors themselves.
Tried calling local junkyards, none of them had a 98, not sure if you knew i had to have that year b/c a 98 is different from every other year having a 3 wire connecter instead of a 2 like 99+. I got to looking yesterday and put the new sensor in and cleaned the glue off the harness. I had some problems with it again and ended up throwing the po118 code. So i unplugged the sensor while it was running, shut the car off, cleared the codes and reset the battery. Plugged it back in and it was and is running fine now, just hope it stays that way
Old 04-09-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0118
Old 04-09-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slayerized6
very nice answered all my questions right there, thanks man

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throwing code po118 have a few questions