General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Just Bought an LS1, Couple Question's about Maintenance

Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought an LS1, Couple Question's about Maintenance

Ok guys, just bought my first LS1, has 115k miles, never had a thorough tune up this far down the road, i've asked the previous owner about it, so i know the history. So I have a little bit of work to do...

1)I'm going to Seafoam it; the oil is already pretty dark, so I don't think seafoaming it on the current oil would be as efficient as it would on cleaner oil, so do I do an oil change, seafoam it, and then oil change again (obviously an oil change after seafoaming is going to be mandatory). Should I just go ahead and do it on the current oil? Is there some sort of oil that I could use for this 100 mile Seafoam experience, or just use the same oil both times. I'd like to save money, but I would rather do it the right and most efficient way.

2)Tranny Fluid and filter change

3)Rear-end fluid change

4)PCV valve and Fuel Filter change

5)New Plugs and Wires; Which plugs should I go with...

6) its got a functional ram air hood with K&N filter lid, so i'm gonna get a new filter as well

Anything i'm forgetting? Any and all help would be appreciated...

[EDIT]
Its a 2000 Trans Am WS6

Tumblrws6's old one I know

Last edited by Southernsnow; 04-07-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

I would think it would be okk, to just seafoam it now with the current oil. Save yourself some money, but im not to sure. So other guys will let you know if its ok or better to do it with newer oil.

NGK plugs are the most common plugs ppl on here like to use. Im not sure what model, i believe TR55's or something like that. Check WS6store.com and see what plugs they have.

Other then that, i think you pretty much have everything you gotta do down. Maybe flush the radiator while your at it, just to know that you've done it?? That's what i did, just got my SS back in November. Flushed the radiator in January just to know that ive done this.

P.S. what kind of car is it??
Old 04-07-2009, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Thats a sweet lookin ride man grats on that, how much did u pay and is there any upgrades?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

right around 10, and its upgrades are just the functional ram air and slp loud mouth, but I haven't gotten the chance to do anything to it yet
Old 04-07-2009, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

loud paint job for a pretty stock car
Old 04-08-2009, 12:54 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Crazy paint job, grats on the purchase. I run NGK TR55's gapped to .055, works well for me. I can't help you with the seafoam though, never used the stuff. Also, if it's got K&N then you don't need a new filter, just clean the current one.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

haha i know the K&N's can be cleaned, when I got the car, the filter was black, hadn't been cleaned in a long time; i cleaned it and oiled it, and it's still in pretty ugly condition, i'm going to clean it again this weekend to see if i can get any more crap out of there, but i think its beyond just a simple cleaning...
Old 04-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Launching!

HOLY Crazy Paint Job BATMAN!..I to am working on my first LS1 and doing basic maintenance to it. Real nice car. I'm am thinking about also Seafoaming my car and it only has 71k on it.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think that's one of the ones from the LS1tech calendar. I forget which member owned it. Congrats on the purchase.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Southernsnow
haha i know the K&N's can be cleaned, when I got the car, the filter was black, hadn't been cleaned in a long time; i cleaned it and oiled it, and it's still in pretty ugly condition, i'm going to clean it again this weekend to see if i can get any more crap out of there, but i think its beyond just a simple cleaning...
Damn! I would probably just buy a new filter if its that bad. Sweet looking car you got though.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Trojan35
I think that's one of the ones from the LS1tech calendar. I forget which member owned it. Congrats on the purchase.
TUMBLRws6.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

please dont use seafoam in the oil on that poor car, you will probably do more damage then good

Search this Thread