General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New build won't start, backfiring through throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New build won't start, backfiring through throttle body

The short story is I bought a running and tuned car and changed a BUNCH of stuff. But the issue I'm sure is with the huge mistake I made by trying to cut out some "unneeded" wiring. The wires I cut were coming from the BCM and that's it, they seemed to go nowhere. Well I was wrong. After cutting the wires the car wouldn't do anything. It was completely dead. No dome light no door ding nothing.

While this issue was there I took the engine out and had it rebuilt. I used the same cam for the rebuild, only added new bearings and pistons raising the compression ratio from 11.5 to 13.1.

I have the car back together now and reconnected most of the wires that I cut before. I have fuel, spark and compression so it should start right? Well It doesn't. In fact it's backfiring through the throttle body. I want to say it's a timing issue. I know I'll need it retuned but I figured it would at least start and run.

Is there a wire or wires I could have crossed up? Something I didn't reconnect at all? I mean I have all of the elements for it to run so I thought I had reconnected everything. Any thoughts? Please help!
Old 07-31-2017, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It definitely sounds like timing of some kind. Is the cam installed correctly? Is it showing any codes?
Old 07-31-2017, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by b00stleak
It definitely sounds like timing of some kind. Is the cam installed correctly? Is it showing any codes?
I can only hope/guess the cam is properly installed. As far as codes the scanner isn't able to communicate with the car. Also no engine light shows up in the dash at any point.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:21 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Did you remote mount your coil packs. More than one time I've seen that mod with this exact problem. If you're not careful, the wrong coil is firing with the wrong cylinder.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:32 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Did you check the coil wires to make sure they were put back on the engine so that the left and right sides are in the right places? I recall that each head has different color wires triggering the coils on each side so people don't make this mistake, but...
Old 08-01-2017, 06:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Did you remote mount your coil packs. More than one time I've seen that mod with this exact problem. If you're not careful, the wrong coil is firing with the wrong cylinder.
No I didn't, I'd like to though!

Originally Posted by wssix99
Did you check the coil wires to make sure they were put back on the engine so that the left and right sides are in the right places? I recall that each head has different color wires triggering the coils on each side so people don't make this mistake, but...
I'm pretty sure they are correct but as I troubleshoot this I'll need to check again.

Quick Reply: New build won't start, backfiring through throttle body