General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

99 trans am window problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 trans am window problem

Hey guys and gals my baby is a 99 trans am ws6. I've had it for about ten years. It my second one, once I got one I had to have another. Anyway I'm having trouble with my drivers side window. It always worked fine and the other day it wouldn't go down. The motor still works great but I hear the motor gear slipping over the other. Is this something I can fix by changing one gear or maybe just get it back on track. If anyone can help with some suggestions please let me know.this is my first post and hope to get some feed back . Thanks everyone.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nelson lopez
Is this something I can fix by changing one gear or maybe just get it back on track.
The gears of the window motor and the window regulator are not repairable without replacing either part. It may be possible that the window motor was replaced at one time and came loose from the regulator, allowing the gears to not fully mesh. This type of situation could cause damage requiring both parts to be replaced. The only way to know for sure is to open the door and inspect the regulator and window motor.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are lots of old threads on window motor/regulator/switch/wiring issues covering almost every possibility. Just do a search for them.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:04 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by peterpar
The gears of the window motor and the window regulator are not repairable without replacing either part. It may be possible that the window motor was replaced at one time and came loose from the regulator, allowing the gears to not fully mesh. This type of situation could cause damage requiring both parts to be replaced. The only way to know for sure is to open the door and inspect the regulator and window motor.
This is the typical cause of this problem. Someone uses bolts instead of rivets to attach the motor and regulator together and they just come loose. Best to tighten these or use rivets ASAP so you don't strip the rack gear.

BTW - If you stick with the bolts, you may want to switch to Nylock nuts, or something of the sort so this doesn't happen again.

Quick Reply: 99 trans am window problem