General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Jerky power window

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerky power window

This probably means a bad motor, but lately my driver's side power window on my 00 Trans Am goes down and up in a very unsmooth jerky motion (like jerks every half sec). It also doesn't seem to know when its all the way up or down since it'll keep allowing me to press resulting in very nasty sounds when you hit the bottom or top and won't stop if its in auto down mode.

It stills works for now, but I'd guess the motor or something will go out soon. Has anyone seen this and can confirm its just the motor? (Just making sure its that and not something else that might be broken before I tear the thing apart and buy a new motor)

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Wow - this is the first time I've posted this reply to a window question...

I don't think its the motor.

I have seen this before when the glass binds on the felt strips bolted to the top of the door and when the wires plugging in to the motor are loose. I'd check for those first and for any nut/bolt obstructions that might be hitting the regulator as it moves.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The nasty sounds you are hearing might be the gearing in the motor itself. My motor did that, the worm gear or something stripped so the window acted funny and would grind horribly at the top or bottom, then got stuck in the middle (that was fun).
Old 07-29-2009, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

My car got broken in to and I had to replace the glass. Now the window is doing this jerking thing. I had to put the window up and down a lot to get the new glass in and now I think I striped the gears on the motor or its getting ready to go bad. How did u fix urs?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Unfortunately I still haven't gotten around to fixing it yet since it hasn't completely gone out yet, sorry!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by uscg02ws6
My car got broken in to and I had to replace the glass. Now the window is doing this jerking thing. I had to put the window up and down a lot to get the new glass in and now I think I striped the gears on the motor or its getting ready to go bad. How did u fix urs?
Its not very likely you've stripped the gear. You'd probably burn out the motor before that happens.

The first things would be to check the attachment of the motor to the regulator, check for binding on the regulator, check for binding on the glass where the felt pads make contact as it goes up.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

I lessened the felt pads up to see if it changed and nothing happened I guess I'll look for loose connections at the regulator. I did have that wire come lose during the install so maybe I bent a prong or something in the plug
Old 07-30-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by uscg02ws6
I replaced the motor with the second one of the el cheapos I got from ebay. 40 for the pair, 1st lasted 1 year, 2nd is still working so far (but it clicks)

Quick Reply: Jerky power window