General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

sounds like power steering

Old 04-10-2009, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sounds like power steering

well i get a whine when the car gets warm when i turn the wheel, only happens after i drive for awhile am i screwed?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No. Mine has been doing it for a while now, at least a couple years. What made it much better is bypassing the power steering cooler in the upper radiator hose (if your car has one).

I also flushed the old PS fluid out, and put in some Royal Purple MAX ATF, and it has quieted down significantly since. Power steering fluid is basically ATF. Royal Purple ATF was cheaper than the higher end valvoline PS fluid. Scew it, I just used the MAX ATF. Better anyway.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blitzace12
well i get a whine when the car gets warm when i turn the wheel, only happens after i drive for awhile am i screwed?
I hear ya bro, i noticed mine has been doing it too. Actually when its really warm from driving a while, i took the p/s top off and fluid was gushing upwards and overflowing!! I had to shut the car off to stop.

Anyways, i just want to subscribe to this thread to see what people have to say about why yours (and mine) whines when gets warm.

P.S. I am also thinking about flushing the old p/s fluid out and put some of that max atf fluid like stated above
Old 04-11-2009, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

that sounds like a good idea lol, its kinda weird tho cuz sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't
Old 04-11-2009, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

also how do you bypass the p/s cooler? i see the two lines a few inches apart from eachother that go to the radiator hose, are those it? Then how would you cap off the fittings that go in the radiator hose?

Anybody have any pics of this done?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

I'm also interested. When the fluid was hot, it was seriously overfilled. Removed some fluid and the level is good. But, after a warm up, and not all the time, I get the whining when RPMs go up. I don't have to be actively turning the wheel either. I was just going to buy a TurnOne PS set-up and call it a day.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LastHawk
I'm also interested. When the fluid was hot, it was seriously overfilled. Removed some fluid and the level is good. But, after a warm up, and not all the time, I get the whining when RPMs go up. I don't have to be actively turning the wheel either. I was just going to buy a TurnOne PS set-up and call it a day.
I was pretty much having the same problem as you. The power steering cooler i believe was busted. Just bypass the cooler and no whining or overheating problems with my p/s. Just sucks trying to flush all the fluid out since some got contaminated with the coolant
Old 04-16-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tnmotown
I hear ya bro, i noticed mine has been doing it too. Actually when its really warm from driving a while, i took the p/s top off and fluid was gushing upwards and overflowing!! I had to shut the car off to stop.

Anyways, i just want to subscribe to this thread to see what people have to say about why yours (and mine) whines when gets warm.

P.S. I am also thinking about flushing the old p/s fluid out and put some of that max atf fluid like stated above
I had the same problem too. In the morning, power steering was fine but when car warms up, that's when ur power steering gets kind of hard to turn and whines. Mine was overfilling but not gushing out. But what happened was pressure gets built up in the p/s cause it's not cooling the fluids. So it's getting pushed out. I flushed out the old p/s fluids and flushed it again and it still was doing the same thing. Getting hot and overfilling. U may want to check ur power steering cooling pipe. In my case, that was the problem. My p/s cooling pipe had a internal leak where the coolant was actually mixing with my p/s fluid. And that should explain the murky looking fluid color and overflowing. But that might not be the problem for u. I replaced my p/s cooling pipe and my power steering is working much better.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Also, since the coolant was mixing with the p/s fluid, I took the precaution to flush out my radiator along with p/s flush.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CETAWS6
I had the same problem too. In the morning, power steering was fine but when car warms up, that's when ur power steering gets kind of hard to turn and whines. Mine was overfilling but not gushing out. But what happened was pressure gets built up in the p/s cause it's not cooling the fluids. So it's getting pushed out. I flushed out the old p/s fluids and flushed it again and it still was doing the same thing. Getting hot and overfilling. U may want to check ur power steering cooling pipe. In my case, that was the problem. My p/s cooling pipe had a internal leak where the coolant was actually mixing with my p/s fluid. And that should explain the murky looking fluid color and overflowing. But that might not be the problem for u. I replaced my p/s cooling pipe and my power steering is working much better.
yep thats what mine was doing. I bypass the p/s cooler (the metal radiator hose type) and no problems since. Figured the p/s cooler was busted inside

Originally Posted by CETAWS6
Also, since the coolant was mixing with the p/s fluid, I took the precaution to flush out my radiator along with p/s flush.
same here
Old 04-16-2009, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

I just ordered a PS cooler from JEGs for like 30 bucks. Thanks for the advice, and I hope it works!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LastHawk
I just ordered a PS cooler from JEGs for like 30 bucks. Thanks for the advice, and I hope it works!
You order a p/s cooler for $30? Damn cause you did better than me. I paid 184 for mine but it's a GM part. I figured I couldn't go wrong with that brand.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

The stock PS cooler is the dumbest thing I have every seen. Mine broke and leaked in my coolant system. I removed it and replaced with a upper radiator hose from a car without the option. I then removed the hose off the pump and ran the one from the rack straight to that port. 100 X better now no more losing ps fluid. now I need to flush my coolant ..What a mess that is going to be.

Search this Thread