General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ignition Cylinder Lock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition Cylinder Lock Replacement

I'm still troubleshooting my no-start/security light problem in my '01 Z28. Started the process of removing my steering wheel and such so I can inspect the wires in the lock cylinder. In case I do have to replace it, do I need to get a new key cut or something?

I really don't want to have to bring a dealership into this (I have no warranty anyhow). Just trying to get some information.

Kind of off topic but now that I'm tearing into the interior and such is there anything I should do while there? Problem areas and/or routine maintenance stuff I need to inspect or clean up? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

assuming that the dealer matches the lock cyclinder to your car you shouldn't. Alternatively, you or a lock smith could take the tumblers from your lock. Locksmith would use new ones so that is probably better than swapping in your old. They are worn out.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So then the locks are interchangeable? Just don't know for sure where in the VATS the resistance is set. Never messed with the security system, that's why I'm hoping for an easy fix.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The resistor is in the key pellet. The BCM is set to the key. The BCM is permanently set but a new BCM can be integrated into the car.