General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A couple new guy questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple new guy questions

OK - new guy / olddude with a couple questions. And I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. New owner of a '00 Ram Air WS-6. My tuning experience is carbs on big and small block Mopars. 1) This TA under hard acceleration lays down between 2000 - 2500 or so RPM. Perfect above and below that. 100,000 miles and all stock except SLP lid and Flowmaster cat-back that came on it. I have changed fuel filter and plugs, oil and filter, PCV, and cleaned the injectors. Wires are new MSDs. I scanned and got the P0137 and P0157 codes for low voltage on both rear O2 sensors. I did not clear the codes or swap the sensors front to back. Could these O2 sensors cause this bog (that feels like an accelerator pump on a carb)? Or with the miles might I be looking at cats? 2) PCV allows lots of oil into the intake (like lots of new Mopars and Fords also). Any good fixes in the LS-1 world? 3) Passenger window seems to be legendary for slowness and problems - is the rewire kit from WS-6 Store worthwhile to prevent the motor replacement ordeal? Thanks all for your patience and thoughts. Tim
Old 04-17-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

the rear o2 sensors dont really do much but give you ses codes.

the bog can be many things first start with the small stuff.
1. clean the maf sensor and throttle body.
2. it can very much be the cat's maybe they are clogged up.
3. front o2 sensors

first try #1 and report back to see if that fixed the problem or not.

on my car my front 02 sensors were the cause of my car to bog between 40-60 mph
Old 04-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Teching In

bobbyd - #1 is already on tomorrow's list. Forgot to mention it also came with a K&N so MAF could be a victim. Paper is going on tomorrow also - never been a fan of K&N on anything without carbs. I'll let you know - thanks.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by olddude
bobbyd - #1 is already on tomorrow's list. Forgot to mention it also came with a K&N so MAF could be a victim. Paper is going on tomorrow also - never been a fan of K&N on anything without carbs. I'll let you know - thanks.
Yes, I had this exact problem when my MAF was fouled by my K&N. I cleaned the MAF really well, went back to paper filters, and life has been great since.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Teching In

We have a winner!!! Cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor real well along with the lid and housing, threw a Fram paper fliter in it and for good measure changed out the plugs that the previous owner said were fairly recent (maybe they were a year or two ago). Anyway, no hesitation at all now - the thing just pulls hard from idle to redline. And the TR55s smoothed out the idle pretty decent for 100K miles. Thanks for the MAF tip guys Tim
Old 04-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Get yourself a RevXtreme catch can. That will help keep alot of the oil out of your intake.

http://www.revxtreme.com/specials.htm

I installed one on my 2002. Not hard to do at all. Plus I had a question and they were extremely helpful and walked me through it.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by olddude
We have a winner!!! Cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor real well along with the lid and housing, threw a Fram paper fliter in it and for good measure changed out the plugs that the previous owner said were fairly recent (maybe they were a year or two ago). Anyway, no hesitation at all now - the thing just pulls hard from idle to redline. And the TR55s smoothed out the idle pretty decent for 100K miles. Thanks for the MAF tip guys Tim
good to hear man and good thing it was nothing bick
Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Sometimes it's your day and sometimes it's a VISA moment. lol Next is to sort out a couple Monsoon quirks (for the wife), install the short shift handle (for me), rework the passenger window, add the catch can, stop a small oil drip and drive the snot out of it for a while. Only other real mods I may do is dump the FM for a Magnaflow - the car is just too nice to hack up. Driver seat bolster needs a little love and the car will be truly immaculate. Gotta love buying a garage queen!