General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What is causing the ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is causing the ticking sound

I recently changed the spark plugs and had a cracked plug, now I have that fixed but there is some ticking sound coming from the driver side bank. The car idles awkwardly occasionally. I believe it is either an exhaust leak or a lifter crapping out. Attached are the videos i took a little bit ago trying to capture the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nzCsil8M9Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJzCG1ZEeig

Last edited by Formulals187; 04-19-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Pull the valve cover check every set of rocker arms when that piston is at TDC of the compression stroke, check for play in the rocker arm. If you really want to get into it pull the rockers off, again with the piston at TDC so that you won’t stress the threads of the rockers. Pull your pushrods and roll them along a flat surface and see if any of them are bent. Your car doesn’t sound that bad, or it could be that your camera isn’t doing you justice with the video. Either way pull the cover and look in there. Here’s what mine sounds like, I’m pulling my heads this weekend and replacing lifters and other stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSOzH2m62aA
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...collapsed.html

Good luck

Last edited by mcamarols1; 04-22-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

since you changed your plugs, and you now say that there is a ticking sound that wasent there before i would say check to make sure that all your plugs are in tight and one didnt back out a bit ( im not saying that to be an insult, it can happen) and make sure that all your plug wires are on there good and tight they might be grounding out against something else. that is just my input.

I know when i did my plugs/wires and my exhust from headers back i suddenly got an annoying ticking sound. i tiried everything, and i have just come to the conclusion that it is valve train noise resonating down my headers, or just my new pipes heating and contracting and that it will eventually go away.....at least i hope!!

good luck man!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Undertow74
since you changed your plugs, and you now say that there is a ticking sound that wasent there before i would say check to make sure that all your plugs are in tight and one didnt back out a bit ( im not saying that to be an insult, it can happen) and make sure that all your plug wires are on there good and tight they might be grounding out against something else. that is just my input.

I know when i did my plugs/wires and my exhust from headers back i suddenly got an annoying ticking sound. i tiried everything, and i have just come to the conclusion that it is valve train noise resonating down my headers, or just my new pipes heating and contracting and that it will eventually go away.....at least i hope!!

good luck man!

X2 happened to me and I know that plug was on tight LOL

took me forever to figure it out LOL
Old 04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I would check something simple like the AIR tube gasket.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:57 AM
12 Second Club

could an exhaust leak towards the top of the header create performance problems (due to lack of back pressure)?
Old 07-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Formulals187
could an exhaust leak towards the top of the header create performance problems (due to lack of back pressure)?
Depends on size, if extremely small, no but it still shouldnt be there. It could eventually cause you some problems because of the lack of back pressure. If you have that problem, you mine as well fix it.