General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question help please

yesterday i got all my exhaust done,headers,ory,and a bullet so at night i went to try it out, i was driving at WOT when suddenly the car bogged down and all the gadges on the dash go on and off , the ses light stayed on but the car didnt turn off ....today in the morning the light was off, i did the same thing again and it happend again,later on i was driving home at speed limit and the car just turned off and i slowed down and parked and turned it back on with no problem..wat can be causimg this?? btw i felt difference from my all stock exhaust to wat i have now
Old 04-24-2009, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blak_ls1
yesterday i got all my exhaust done,headers,ory,and a bullet so at night i went to try it out, i was driving at WOT when suddenly the car bogged down and all the gadges on the dash go on and off , the ses light stayed on but the car didnt turn off ....today in the morning the light was off, i did the same thing again and it happend again,later on i was driving home at speed limit and the car just turned off and i slowed down and parked and turned it back on with no problem..wat can be causimg this?? btw i felt difference from my all stock exhaust to wat i have now
Since the gauges went on and off, that leads me to believe that there is an electrical problem. I'd start off by checking the battery connections.

If it is bogging also, that could be two separate problems, ie a bad battery connection and possibly one of the following:

-Cracked ceramic on the plugs (can't always be seen)
-Loose plug wire
-Wiring messed up with o2 extensions (melted, unplugged, grounding out)

These are the most common things that I can think of after installing headers.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

^^thankz...im gona check it today
Old 04-24-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check not just the battery connections but also the alternator connection (is at the bottom right of the engine, looking head-on) and grounds. Look for not just loose connections but also excessively rusted connectors. If you find a lot of rust, disconnect and wirebrush. Reconnect and use some dielectric, or spray some battery terminal protector. If your battery terminals have notable rust, they will probably need to be replaced. Be careful with side post batteries. If you have to tighten/replace the battery connectors, don't torque them down too much. It can crack the battery case (you might not even notice it at first) and that is never a good thing.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

ttt..
Old 04-25-2009, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you check the grounds and all?
Old 04-25-2009, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

^^yes sir,everything looked good to me
Old 04-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blak_ls1
Very common after header installs you have a spark plug wire touching a header pipe. Make sure none are touching AT ALL.

Those symptoms can also be caused by a failing Crank Shaft Position sensor. And NO, you will not necassarily get an SES light. The orange scanners at the auto parts stores also will not pick up that code until the sensor fails completely. The good OBDII scanners that the dealers use will work.

But go get a scan anyway at an auto parts store, maybe a code will show. The SES light doesn't always come on when there's a code.