General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

turn signal/dtr question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal/dtr question

I know I'm a newb to the site, but I did a search and didn't find my answer. I also read the faq section too.

Here's my issue. I bought my 98 z28 from a friend after he lightly rearend a car. Now the dumb tow truck driver cut the hanging turn signal parking light wires off. But anyways, I put on new bulb sockets on and I have some issues. I also want to note he drove it to my house with the wires just dangling there so this might help answer my questions.

I put all new bulbs in all the lights, and my drivers side blinks fine, but my passenger side didn't blink at all. The rear would light up solid and the front stayed solid too. I changed the bulbs on that side again and they still didn't work. I replaced the flasher unit and the rear light blinks now and the green arrow in the car flashes now to, but the front still doesn't flash.
I noticed today when I was driving it that the dtr on the side I'm having trouble with isn't on, so I'm guessing the bright filament isn't getting power. Could my dtr module be fried? Also, can I bypass the dtr and see if it makes a difference? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 04-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Launching!

have you checked the ground located on the radiator support bracket. i dont no how hard ur friend hit the other car but the ground may have come loose. good luck.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same problem. blinker light stays solid and doesnt blink. you need to change the socket. its a simple fix that takes 20/30 min. http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...threadid=15143
Old 04-25-2009, 03:04 AM
Teching In

I checked the ground. With the light on I started to loosen the ground and the lights got dim and went out once i got it off.

I replaced the sockets with brand new ones. I went ahead and took that side back off and rewired and shrink wrapped it again just so that I was sure it wasn't me wiring it. I'm going to check it with a test light tomorrow on the side that is working and then try to see if I can figure something out on the other side. If not, I'll be searching ebay for another harness. I wouldn't be so worried about it, but I got pulled over last night for failure to signal (told him the problem and that I'm trying to fix it, but he didn't believe me nor did he care)
Old 05-01-2009, 02:15 AM
Teching In

well, I pulled the drl module today, and part of the circuit board was burnt. I went ahead and ran a couple jumper wires from the light blue/white to the light blue wire, and one from the dark blue/white to the dark blue wire to bypass the drl module. I checked the turn signals and they all work now, so it was my drl module. Now I'll have to leave it bypassed until I can locate a used one because I'm not paying 200+ for a new one. lol