General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

something is slipping need help asap before I take it back home

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something is slipping need help asap before I take it back home

so there I was drivin down interstate 2day when I went to pass a car in 6th gear and when I put the pedel to the floor the car went nowhere just reved up almost like the trans was slipping but that can't be with a manual. I put it in 5th & it did the same, but now I can get it to do it again what the hell happend? this is the 1st road trip I've been on since the new clutch install. have around 200 miles on it before I took it out of town today. is it something in the rear end slipping or what
Old 04-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

was there alot of smoke coming off the tires?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue is in the clutch assembly. Review the details concerning the condition of the clutch parts as well as the installation to make sure that nothing was missed or done improperly. An exact description of what happened is basically the clutch disk failing to make contact with the flywheel with the proper amount of pressure, resulting in a loss of friction and slipping. The reason why you experienced this in 5 and 6th gear is because of the torque-load ratio, where the highest level of torque is generated against the clutch, especially when you go wide open throttle at such a low point in the torque band of the gear. This could be happening only briefly in the lower gears where it escapes notice.

If you can't confirm the condition of the clutch kit itself, then check the master and slave cylinders as well as making sure that the fluid is properly bled of air. If everything is fine there, then the only place to check is back onto the clutch. Until you find out for sure what's happening, I'd recommend that you avoid 5th and 6th gear unless you're on a freeway, or, if you have to, avoid going WOT when in those gears to minimize a possible overslippage and burning of the clutch disk and wearing of the throwout bearings.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

i put in the clutch myself and its a spec stage 2. i tried to get it to do it again tonite but couldnt though that was weird. ohh well i guess i wont know untill something breaks i guess cuz all the parts are in and the fluid is full so i dont know what else to do
Old 04-26-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Regular

If it drives normally and that was just a one-time deal, then we can assume that something simply prevented the clutch from fully engaging. Even though the fluid is topped off, there could still be trapped air. The recommended thing to do after installing a clutch is to fully bleed the fluid and then fill it from bottom to top.

For the time being, just be attentive to any loss of acceleration for the amount of throttle you're giving.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

well i guess i didnt bleed the system after i put it in cus i didnt take any hoses off except the line that goes to the slave but that has a check ball at the end of the line. how should i bleed it? just crack it at the slave?
Old 04-26-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Yes. If I remember correctly, you should be able to disconnect the line going to the master cylinder which has a clamp. DO NOT pull off the line from the slave cylinder end. That end is permanently attached and will break if you pull it out.

I have never performed this myself, so wait for someone who has done this to give you the complete list of procedures. Altogether, it's a simple and quick task--drain from the bottom and fill from top. If you have any substantial amount of air trapped, you'll notice after you bleed it that the pedal will feel stiffer and the clutch will engage further out and less sooner.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

with that being said, there is awsome pedal pressure & it ingauges pretty much right away
Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
was there alot of smoke coming off the tires?
aaahhhh that good lol that just made my day
Old 04-26-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 4THGENCAMAROFAN
aaahhhh that good lol that just made my day
no none at all at 90mph haha