General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Started Again.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Started Again.

First off I drive 2002 Z28 SOM. About 32,000 miles on it. This is a intermittent problem? Happens about once a month and then stops. I took off to work the other day and when I was at highway cruising speed the car stumbled and all the gauge lights came on and then went off very quickly. Just a quick stumble. I continued to work with no more problems. After a 9 hour day, I went out and started the car only for it to really run rough and would not stay running without me pressing the gas pedal a bit. Did this for about 10 minutes. When I finally gave it a some high rpms it ran fine. By the way this is usually followed by low pitched whine. Sounds almost like radio interference. Not sure where it is coming from. May be from the front or rear. Also, every since I have bought the camaro, it will almost never start the first time after the car has ran for a while. O2's, coils, alternator, fuel filter, or fuel pump... I am leaning toward the fuel pump about to fail... Any opinions, thoughts. Of course by the time I get to checking everything the car runs like a champ.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

I also want to add that when the lights are on I notice a flicker in the lights that coincide with the running of the engine.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Have you worked on the car recently? It sounds like a ground wire isnt tightened down somewhere. GM puts pigtail grounds all over the place and if one is rusted or loose all kinds of weird **** can happen. Gauges and lights flickering wouldnt be related to any physical part like the fuel pump.

I learned that in high school, had a S10 and I pulled the motor for some repairs. After, the engine would die whenever it wanted to. Found a pigtail ground wire under the coil packs that wasnt tightened to the block.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like the fuel pump, the same thing happened to my 96z28, same symptoms so I'd do the trap door trick to put one in
Old 04-26-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The flickering lights and the whining sound makes me think alternator. I replaced mine last year with only 27K on the car. My volt gauge would occasionally dip below 12 once in a while for just a couple seconds, just ignored it - then the alternator finally died and watched the voltage drop and got the whining sound. I'd have the battery and alt tested first.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Once when the whining started. This too was while I was driving to work. I had the windows up but had the air off. I turned the air conditioning quickly on then off and bam the car interrupted power and all the gauge lights came on and then off. When I say the gauge lights come on and off so does the car. Momentarily the car shuts off and then resumes... So there are multiple symptoms. this would seem to be an electrical issue, battery, alternator, or ground?

Search this Thread