General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor

So i just found out my A/C compressor is cracked on both sides, they said it would cost around 1000 to replace and flush the system, but they said i couldnt get it warantied unless i replaced about everything in the A/C system, which he said would be the oriface, the dryer, and the A/C compressor, which he told me would be 1500 bucks. I clearly do not have that money right now, there is a guy on here selling a used A/C compressor out of another 2000 camaro ss i believe or something close, possible a 2000-2002 ws6, i believe they are indentical compressors? Anyways, he is selling it at a fraction of the price, is there anything i should have checked about the compressor before i have him ship it to me? Should it be sealed? Not letting the elements get to it?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ford_Sucks
So i just found out my A/C compressor is cracked on both sides, they said it would cost around 1000 to replace and flush the system, but they said i couldnt get it warantied unless i replaced about everything in the A/C system, which he said would be the oriface, the dryer, and the A/C compressor, which he told me would be 1500 bucks. I clearly do not have that money right now, there is a guy on here selling a used A/C compressor out of another 2000 camaro ss i believe or something close, possible a 2000-2002 ws6, i believe they are indentical compressors? Anyways, he is selling it at a fraction of the price, is there anything i should have checked about the compressor before i have him ship it to me? Should it be sealed? Not letting the elements get to it?
IIRC, the orifice tube should always be changed...

I found a dryer for $20.00, a compressor with 30k miles that was CLEAN for $75.00, and I just cleaned my condensor myself. A local AC guy installed it all for me with a good pull, clean, and fill of the system for I think $100.00 in labor... Much better than $1k!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Teching In

im not sure which one theo rifice tube is, the guy says the tubes are included with the A/C compressor, where did you find the dryer at? the guy is selling the compressor and tubes and brackets for 100 plus shipping, seems pretty good, i just want to make sure its sealed properly while its out of the engine so no debre or anything gets into it.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do not buy used or rebuilt compressors, it will bite you in the ***. some people get lucky with them but most of the time they screw up and you are out money for new freon, oil, re-flushing, and re-vacuuming. buy the stuff yourself and find someone to replace it. or you could change everything yourself and have a shop flush, vacuum, and fill it. its $482 for a new delphi compressor, drier, and orifice tube from the auto parts store.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Teching In

have you ever purchased a used or rebuilt one? Because i have heard some good stories about them, plus when its 482 plus tax new, and 100 used, its hard to say no, i am very broke right now and i need A/C, i feel like 100 dollar chance is better than a 500 dollar one, but im not sure.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

no but i worked at an auto parts store for 8 years and sold lots of freon multiple times to people that tried used or reman compressors. its $482 for the comp, drier, and orifice before taxes. some people have had good luck with a used unit as long as the system was flushed, vacuumed, oiled, and filled properly. it all depends on how lucky you are.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

You do know that "freon" is actually r134a refrigerant, right?

Get a compressor, preferebly new. . . But, I would use a reman(it ain't the best), but in no way in how hell I would use a used compressor unless I seen the donor vehicle it is comming off of.

Get a new orifice tube and a new drier.

Total you should be able to stay under 500 Bucks. That's including most of the tools you will need for the job.

But, it can be more if you do decide to go with a true new compressor.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=samson_420;11505266]You do know that "freon" is actually r134a refrigerant, right?
/QUOTE]

so then what are r22 and r12 called?

Quick Reply: A/C compressor