General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wheel Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing?

Ok well i just started hearing this sound yesterday. Sounds like its coming from the passenger front. It started as almost a card in the spokes sound like on kids bicycles, that would speed up as i drove faster. Like every rotation it'd hit the spot once. Now that i drove to work it sounds like a squeaky shoe sound every rotation. I'm thinking this is a wheel bearing right?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check the tire and make sure you don't have something stuck in the tread. otherwise i would agree with the wheel bearing
Old 05-05-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Try jacking the car up and spinning the wheel as fast as you can to replicate the noise, it'll help you isolate it to that specific wheel.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1987firechicken
Try jacking the car up and spinning the wheel as fast as you can to replicate the noise, it'll help you isolate it to that specific wheel.
Ya i looked in the tread, and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. But this is a good idea and i'll try that. Thanks guys.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a wheel bearing going might sound more like a groan or a hum, and will make noise more when it's loaded such as turning. I would check the brakes, and the tire treads, first before assuming it's the bearing.

you said coming from the front but,
when i had the rear end replaced in my 99 a while back, i would get a squeak squeak noise and it was the parking brake shoes on the rears, something to keep in mind if you find nothing causing the noise on the fronts and suspect it's coming from the rears.