General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

having heating problems..

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default having heating problems..

hey whats up guys, i have had my car for about 6mnths know, and need help, i like to learn myself but always can use some guidance, my oil temp gauge is not working on my camaro, i need it because since i cant tell what temp im at my car overheated and the plastic on the sides cracked like a pinpoint crack, i noticed the sensor on the radiator wasnt connected so i connected it still didnt work, anything else i can check, i just ordered a brand new radiator, and i hope its just that sensor..any other ideas.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcus55
hey whats up guys, i have had my car for about 6mnths know, and need help, i like to learn myself but always can use some guidance, my oil temp gauge is not working on my camaro, i need it because since i cant tell what temp im at my car overheated and the plastic on the sides cracked like a pinpoint crack, i noticed the sensor on the radiator wasnt connected so i connected it still didnt work, anything else i can check, i just ordered a brand new radiator, and i hope its just that sensor..any other ideas.
You don't have an oil temp guage...you have a coolant temp guage. The temp guage gets its reading from the sensor in the drivers side head that you can see right under the first spark plug on that side. Its brass and has a wire with a plug that attaches to it. Make sure that plug is plugged in.

That sensor on the radiator, under the radiator fill cap on the backside, was disconnected because the previous owner unplugged it because it stopped working. Its very common on our cars. Unplugging it keeps the white light on the guage cluster off.

You have another problem with the engine IF its actually getting hot.

When it overheated and the plastic cracked were you driving it at the time?

Did the coolant boil over, or did it just get hot and crack the plastic?

The old owner could have had a blown head gasket and not told you, if it IS boiling over.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think its a head gasket, my new mechanic put brand new ones and have pics here, as for the overheating, i was driving for about 45 mins the other day and about a block away from my house it threw a really small steam and turned off, i came in and the radiator had all the fluid leaking from the crack, we turned it back on added water to get home and i just changed the radiator and i drove it for 30 mins and it felt good no overheating or boil or anything just cant get the sensor to work, and thanks for the info but the sensor on the head is plugged in and the wire seems fine, anything else i can check.....
Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcus55
I dont think its a head gasket, my new mechanic put brand new ones and have pics here, as for the overheating, i was driving for about 45 mins the other day and about a block away from my house it threw a really small steam and turned off, i came in and the radiator had all the fluid leaking from the crack, we turned it back on added water to get home and i just changed the radiator and i drove it for 30 mins and it felt good no overheating or boil or anything just cant get the sensor to work, and thanks for the info but the sensor on the head is plugged in and the wire seems fine, anything else i can check.....
The sensor could be bad.