General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oddball headlight question/issue...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Oddball headlight question/issue...

Okay, so when I go to turn on the headlights in my 98 Formula, and all 4 lights come on (low and high beams) even though the high beams are not engaged. All four lights are dim. Then when I engage the high beams, all four go bright, and when I go back to low beams now, they are just how they are supposed to be (two normal lit/bright low beams). And then everything is fine. But when I turn off the car and try it again (turning on the headlights on low beams) I get all four dim again and the whole process is the same as before.

The battery seems to show good/normal voltage on the dash as perhaps a low charge was my first thought.

I'm really baffled on this one. Anyone have any ideas on whats going on with my Firebird?
Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like a bad ground on one of the harnesses. Same thing happened to mine. Check the clip for the lights/ motor just above the front marker light mine was in bad shape. Wires and connections were rotted to hell. Found out it was a bad ground.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a strange problem. As with all electrical issues, check grounds and wiring for corrosion or bad connection first.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the headlight switch out of the dash & clean it.