General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signal woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turn signal woes

So before I put the T/A away for the winter the passenger side (right) amber running light was out. I replaced it and it promptly started being temperamental. It would shut off and I would take it out and check it to see that the bulb was still good and put it back in and have it work for a tiny amount of time then go out again. Found out the whole assembly was bad so I replaced it and it was good for a while. Now all of a sudden the blinker portion is weird. So I turn on the headlights and the right blinker arrow is permanently on. Amber light is still on but the blink is erratic during the day when the headlights aren't on. It blinks about once every 4-5 seconds. And I haven't checked to see if the damn thing is actually blinking. I'm just hoping it's not the wiring. Ideas?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Have you tried replacing the Turn Signal Flasher??
Old 05-07-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmmmm... I've just replaced the amber bulb and the whole assembly.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 on the turn signal flasher, grab one from autozone, the flasher is located under the steering column to the left side of it. At least thats where mine was.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haven't put the flasher in because of time, but I did notice that the amber is on when the headlights are on. But the right blinker is permanently illuminated when the headlights are on and won't blink. Everyone still going with flasher?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If your left blinker works fine, then it isn't the flasher. Same flasher does both sides.

With the headlights off, are both DRLs on? Same brightness? Do the same with the headlights on, check to make sure they are the same brightness. Also check your rear turn signal bulbs (just have someone check the rear while you hold your brake pedal, they use the same bulbs).

I'm suspecting you just have one of the dual filaments bad in either the front DRL/signal bulb or the rear brake/blinker bulb.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

With the headlights off, the suspect side is out in front. I think the rears are all good. I know there is the furthest bulb on the left on the driver's side taillight out. But it's been like that. That shouldn't cause it should it? It's the opposite side as the blinker's issues. The bulb that's in there is not even a year old. Plus, the whole entire assembly was replaced shortly after because it stopped working again. I just hope it's not in the wiring somewhere.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, the rear bulb on the opposite side won't make a difference.

It is probably the bulb in the front. Sometimes they go prematurely. Pull the bulb and check it.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

+1 check the bulb. I had a problem on the gf's z28, the blinker wouldn't work and such. It turned out to be a bad light bulb.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

This has happened 3 times now. I'm gonna check it, but it seems like there must be something else going on to make them go bad though. Last time stuff was so f'd up it blew a fuse and I was stalled on the highway!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Did you check the rear bulbs in the tail lights?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

As far as I know, it's just the one on the opposite side.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SLPGTP
This has happened 3 times now. I'm gonna check it, but it seems like there must be something else going on to make them go bad though. Last time stuff was so f'd up it blew a fuse and I was stalled on the highway!
I was recently going through bulbs on my front driver side in my Camaro. Found I was getting water in it that would drip on the bulb and blow it.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well now I hardly drive it and it will never see rain so that shouldn't bother it later if that's my case right now. lol
Old 06-06-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok checked the bulb today. Nothing wrong with it. Both filaments are still good... Great...

I was going to replace the brake light that's out. Never taken out the taillight on one of these. Do I just untwist the screws in the back behind the carpet? Wanted to make sure before I did it and something else fell out. lol Is it hooked in by tabs or anything like some headlight assemblies so when I put it in it won't fall out when I leave?
Old 06-07-2009, 05:35 AM
Teching In

Yes, there are 6 plastic nuts on each rear taillight. The passenger side can be tricky, there are 2 behind the spare tire. Not much to mess up there.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLPGTP
Ok checked the bulb today. Nothing wrong with it. Both filaments are still good... Great...

I was going to replace the brake light that's out. Never taken out the taillight on one of these. Do I just untwist the screws in the back behind the carpet? Wanted to make sure before I did it and something else fell out. lol Is it hooked in by tabs or anything like some headlight assemblies so when I put it in it won't fall out when I leave?

Yeah, the bulb looked fine and would work when I would hit the flashers, but wouldn't work when I would hit the turn signal lever. Made no sense. Try replacing it
Old 06-07-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright I'll just go ahead and replace it.