General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Compressor will not turn on unless jumped at the Relay

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 02:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Compressor will not turn on unless jumped at the Relay

Ok so I thought maybe my compressor was dead or something else and paid to have a local tech take a look at it. (I have a spare thankfully)

He said it was low on 134a so I bought some we put it in and it def got cold. (Obviously we looked at all the fuses, did some relay swapping and forced the compressor on at the relay to show it worked still)

Now I just found a local small guy through craigs list as I really don't like bigger shops who then love to try and BS you... You also tend to meet nice guys from time to time..... This time is turning out to not be one of them. (I also like that you can partake in whats going on not just live on the "Hope" they actually did things correctly in most cases).

So the AC blows cold the whole way home, all is right with the world good to go.

Then I go to take it out tonight and its nice out so I leave the AC off.... or so I thought. The controls say off but my feet are cold.... I pop the hood and check the relay. Sure enough he jerry rigged the relay by putting a wire between the two contact points to bypass and force the compressor on....

So now I am confused, I took it off obviously but why is it having this issue?

I am assuming since everything works outside the cabin that the switch itself could be the issue and I will pull it off tomorrow to check, but maybe someone else here has seen this before and can shed some light on the issue.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Cross; 05-09-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

The low pressure sensor could be bad or possibly the switch it self. If you need it fixed you will need either a reputable source for repair or some tools of your own.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

The low pressure sensor is the one by the passenger side strut mount right?

If so can I jump pins to get it to turn on just to verify its that or?

I only ask because since its not working off the switch inside the car that I thought that might be the issue.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Yes and yes. . . . .

Post back your progress. . . . . Good luck man, we need AC in AZ
Old 05-31-2009, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

im having a similar problem with my ac.

wasnt working so i got a recharge kit and when i have the car on with ac on full blast i start filling it up but the compressor wont come on and the psi fills up and says it full since the compressor isnt cutting on.

but i got it to come one after jumping the pins on the 3 prong sensor (dont know wat the sensor is called).

so is that sensor bad?

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor will not turn on unless jumped at the Relay