General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wheel feels loose on WOT and turns

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel feels loose on WOT and turns

I have a 99 T/A a4 with a few mods, new wheels, lowering kit, new shocks, and thats about it in the suspension. In the past two days ive noticed my cars wheel feels like it skips when i give it hard gas... and i do not mean burn out but more like it is loose. I know what your all thinking, just tighten you lugs down but ive already went through that. But anyways to describe my problem, it starts from a dead stop. I put the car in drive and lets say i wanted to give it about quarter gas, it kind of feels like my brake rotor isnt sitting right against the rear wheel or ebrake assembly. So I took checked my disc pads and they were sitting fine, not warped, i then noticed that my rotor did feel like it was over the ebrake all the way so i adjusted it all the way back. Car still has the problem but its not as bad.

Next im thinking its in my my suspension, which i doubt cuz i hit bumps and car doesnt do it. So i check everything, sway bar links, shock mounts, the way the coil was sitting, panhard bar, and even the u-joints. Everything looks good.

So im left with a few problems that it might be, rear end internals, or emergency brake assembly, or tire rubbing from my 17x9.5 wheels. It might be rubbing but theyre 56mm or 53mm offset which either should be enough. Anything to do with the rearend would typically howl id assume... not click unless the lsd is failing? not sure never had one do that and i dont launch hard with a stock converter. So that leaves me thinking it my parking brake shoes. I never use it and have never looked at carefully during brake changes. I have 160,xxx miles on the shoes so would they need changed. The only reason im leaning to my parking is because if i lift my handle up just a little and floor, almost all of the rattle, or click, or bounce feeling goes away.

Im getting frustrated guys cuz i cant figure it out. Any help or other ideas would definately make my day. If you guys have had a problem like this from lowering your car or wheels or both, please let me know how you fixed it.

Thanks