On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Motor is going

How much to fix it??

what options do I have??
Old 05-13-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

which side? have you checked out the autotrix kit?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Launching!

When my passenger side went out, I brought it to the dealer and got f**ked out of $300.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Hey, remove your door panel and see if your window motor is original, meaning if it's still riveted and has not been drilled out. How many miles are on your car? IIRC, very few.

Mine were both original when I did them on my red TA, and it took me a long time, drilling sucks, the wind was sending the flakes over the body of the car, I was shitting bricks that they'd cause swirls, etc.

I bought my black TA last year, and the passenger one went out. The car has 90k, so I figured that surely it had been changed. I remove the door panel... It had never been changed. I was looking at prices for window motors, really pissed off that I had to do it again, when this guy at the store told me about an auto-glass place that he said would do it for $80.00, motor + installation... I was like WTF? For an F-body?u

I drove over there and told the guy the motor was still riveted in and if I would really just pay $80.00 to get the new motor plus install. He said no, that was $90.00... I was like "Sure!"

I was paranoid about my car and about my decision, so I stayed watching them like a hawk... They must have thought I was a dick. They threw a clean, thick blanket over half my car that also covered the opening to the interior, dude sat on the floor and started drilling and cursing in Spanish, they were careful with the door handle bulb, careful with the door panel so it wouldn't crack, etc. They put in a motor (probably rebuilt), and gave me a year warranty. That was May of last year, and I roll my windows down every day twice a day... Still good!

lol, the ones I did myself cost over $150.00 IIRC motors from the dealer, and I spent a whole day drilling and cleaning little metal flakes from the interior and exterior (very carefully to protect the paint, just sheets of water and soap over and over again with the hose)... Ugh...

Pm me if you're interested. The place is in Hialeah (of course).
Old 05-14-2009, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

If you are going to replace the window motor, I would recommend buying the window fix Kit from autotrix. They are having a sale right now...
Old 05-16-2009, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys. i found out it should be covered under warranty. hope they don't try to screw me over. now also have a starter motor and headlight motor issue...

all these little things to fix are getting really annoying.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

The joys of an F-body!!!