General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My '98 Camaro wont start after wither storage.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '98 Camaro wont start after wither storage.

Hi!
I have a problem with my ’98 Z28 Camaro 113kmiles, it won’t start.

When I parked the car in October the car was running great and nothing unusual was noticed. I parked it and left it open, no alarm running and the battery connected.
In December the power to my garage was cut due to a broken cable, so I had no power until early march. The battery was still connected because I forgot to disconnect the cables. I didn’t disconnect it until in late January, by then the battery was empty (a 4months old Optima Red top battery) I charged the battery and I was afraid for the battery being damaged due to the low power and cold whether.

Anyhow I ran a test on the battery and it was ok, so I mounted the battery fully charged. I put the key in the ignition and tried to fire it up, I didn’t notice anything different (the gauge cluster was not installed due to 6LE//McNord gauge install). The shift light was lit up as usual, and the traditional PING was there and I also heard the fuel pump (I think, sounds like a humm). And when I turn the key further for start-up but nothing happened just a small click.

A notice is that all electrics in the cab works, fans, stereo, lights and sow on.

I have cheeked all the fuses and I have even tested with a brand new battery but the same thing happens. I have not done anything with the car since I parked it except for removed the gauges and headlights.

Does any one recognise the problem? Or have any idea of what it could be?

Is it an ECM problem or can it be an electric problem (start lock?)

I installed a ’99 gauge cluster can this have damaged some thing?

Any help is extremely appreciated!

Thanks, Anton
Old 05-16-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bad battery is my guess

has enough power to run your accessories, but not enough to turn the engine over
Old 05-16-2009, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
bad battery is my guess

has enough power to run your accessories, but not enough to turn the engine over
I have already tried with a brand new Optima battery.. nothing else hapened.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Crazy Sweed
I have already tried with a brand new Optima battery.. nothing else hapened.
so even with the new battery it is still clicking?

clean the terminals up good and try again
Old 05-16-2009, 07:08 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a starter......common problem with stored cars. If you turn the key and get the click that's the solenoid trying to kick the starter. If you get nothing at all then the solenoid is bad. Down side is the solenoid is the small part on the top of the starter... either way sounds like a starter.

Good luck
Old 05-19-2009, 01:22 AM
12 Second Club

The problem was even more simple than that.. i have changed the gauge cluster for a'99unit. And what i didn't notice was that the new cluster blew a fuse in the small fuse box on the dash. When that fuse (marked with gauge) is broken you cant start the car.
Problem solved..

Does any body know if i can get the '99 cluster to work if i accses the computer?

Quick Reply: My '98 Camaro wont start after wither storage.