General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car won't start...

i'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this and i apologize for the title being a little ambiguous. i went to start the car and the gauges lit up like usual, but i tried to crank the engine over and i heard a click and everything shut off. now, no gauges, no audible tone when the door is open with the key in the ignition. nothing, except a clicking sound coming from the glove box area when a door is open - it stops when all of the doors are closed. and the clicking is getting slower. i initially suspected it was the VATS, but that has now been dismissed, since it has been well over 3 minutes and nothing has changed. any suggestions? i have a AAA truck on the way to jump start it, though i doubt it'll help.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by checkbit
i'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this and i apologize for the title being a little ambiguous. i went to start the car and the gauges lit up like usual, but i tried to crank the engine over and i heard a click and everything shut off. now, no gauges, no audible tone when the door is open with the key in the ignition. nothing, except a clicking sound coming from the glove box area when a door is open - it stops when all of the doors are closed. and the clicking is getting slower. i initially suspected it was the VATS, but that has now been dismissed, since it has been well over 3 minutes and nothing has changed. any suggestions? i have a AAA truck on the way to jump start it, though i doubt it'll help.
if it doesn't start (turn over) and all you hear is clicking, its likely a dead battery. the clicking is the starter not having enough juice to turn the motor over.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

well the jump start worked. i'll get a new battery after work. hopefully that's all it is. thanks for the help.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

well the jump start worked. i'll get a new battery after work. hopefully that's all it is. thanks for the help.
if the next battery dies, take your alternator to get it checked.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

i'll be fit to be tied if the alternator is bad. i just got a new one a month ago...
Old 05-18-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'll be fit to be tied if the alternator is bad. i just got a new one a month ago...
hope its not messed up, but if it is, hope you got a warranty with it.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default PCM plugged in ?

Check to make sure you PCM harness is screwed in tight too LOL I had my ride apart this winter and was heat sheilding some of the wires and fogot that i had it unpluged the PCM harnessesLOL
Old 05-18-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by barnat
Check to make sure you PCM harness is screwed in tight too LOL I had my ride apart this winter and was heat sheilding some of the wires and fogot that i had it unpluged the PCM harnessesLOL
but not too tight. over tightening can cause a TON of issues.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure your battery cables are tight to the battery.... Even if they are loose it wont work.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

i got a new optima battery from advance auto. i've always wondered if they are any better than ac delco (my old battery) or diehard (my favorite replacement). since advance auto was only a few blocks from where i worked, i figured i'd give it a shot.

so far, everything 'seems' back to normal. i'm still bothered by the old battery failing so suddenly...

Originally Posted by 406malibu
hope its not messed up, but if it is, hope you got a warranty with it.
i got a duralast gold (delco remy) alternator with a lifetime warranty.

Last edited by checkbit; 05-19-2009 at 01:22 PM.