General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Radio & Windows Losing Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radio & Windows Losing Power

I have a 2000 Z28 and while driving around the radio will just go off for different amounts of time and then come back on. Today it went off twice for about 10-15 minutes, then came back on. Also, when the radio loses power the windows (or window switches on the door) lose power as well as they won't wind up or down when the radio loses power. I presume it's a loose connection but electrical is NOT my thing. Any ideas?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:12 AM
STG
Staging Lane

The problem is your body control module, which is located underneath the dash on the passenger side. The cold solder GM used on the circuit board is notorious for developing cracks, and I had exactly this problem myself.

You need to remove the board and inspect the solders. One will have developed very small cracks (I needed a magnifying glass to see them) - you need to resolder this connection.

Here's a thread discussing the problem, you can find more info by searching for BCM problems.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...blems-fix.html
Old 05-23-2009, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by STG
The problem is your body control module, which is located underneath the dash on the passenger side. The cold solder GM used on the circuit board is notorious for developing cracks, and I had exactly this problem myself.

You need to remove the board and inspect the solders. One will have developed very small cracks (I needed a magnifying glass to see them) - you need to resolder this connection.

Here's a thread discussing the problem, you can find more info by searching for BCM problems.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...blems-fix.html
Excellent! Thanks for the link. I searched for radio and windows losing power, losing electricity, etc and found nothing. Thanks for the reply! I also have an issue where when I go to start the car it will not start intermittently. Does this issue effect that as well do you think?

Last edited by Trendkiller Z; 05-23-2009 at 10:09 AM.