General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Window problem on 2001 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Window problem on 2001 Z28

Hi, I tried opening my driver side window today and it moved a few inches but then stopped and a grating noise came from the inside the door panel. Sounds to me like gears slipping. Strangely, though, the window will move up fine, just not down.

I removed the door panel and that plastic sheet, hoping I'd be able to spot something obvious, but haven't got a clue what to try next. I can't even see the motor as I guess it's sandwiched in between the inner and outer door skins. Any ideas what to try?

btw, a couple of other things, just in case they might be relevant. The service history states that the motor/regulator in this door was replaced back in 2003. Also, ever since I've had this car there has been a clunk whenever the window in this door moves from either a fully raised or fully lowered position.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This is a common thing when the motor separates from the regulator. From the factory, the two are riveted together. When replaced, most people bolt them together.

I'll bet that yours are currently bolted and those bolts have just come loose. Re-tighten with some locktite and all should be well.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not a hard install at all. you might be lucky as the motor was replaced already. basically what you have to do on a untouched motor is drill out the rivets, remove motor, replace new motor, bolt new motor in. shouldnt take more than an hour and every part store carries the motor
Old 05-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Well, it turns out it was the motor that was at fault, but as I wasn't sure at the time I ended up ordering and fitting a regualtor/motor combo. Only took 2 days to get here, whch I thought was pretty amazing, given that I'm in London, UK and it was despatched from somewhere in Iowa!

But, my troubles aren't over yet, because now what happens with the new parts fitted is that the window seems to get stuck when in the fully down position. There's no noise or clicking, it just goes completely dead. But, it's not the motor again because if I bang on the door panel or just open and shut the door it starts working again immediately. It's as if something is getting trapped when it goes all the way down and a small jolt is enough to free it again.

Any ideas? Could the window be going down too far....any way to restrict how far it goes down?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Check all of the rivets/bolts on the motor and door and make sure that they are not contacting the regulator arms. (Sometimes, if these are too long, they will protrude out and catch the regulator arms.)
Old 05-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Iv had that problem too..i could fall asleep while watching my windows roll up they are so slow lol
Old 05-31-2009, 04:21 AM
Staging Lane

Sorted...I hope! I lowered the window fully and kept the window switch pressed whilst wiggling the electrical connector that goes onto the motor and the window immediately started moving up. Although the connector appeared to be on properly I unplugged it and sprayed some contact cleaner into it. After reconnecting it the problem seems to have gone.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Save the manuals!

Yea, the connector is really hard to get back on after an install. Sometimes, it will feel like its on but won't actually be contacting. (You need to feel your way around the connector and make sure the latch is engaged to confirm its on good.)