General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

P0171 and P0174 codes... Could it be the fuel pump?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation P0171 and P0174 codes... Could it be the fuel pump?!?

So I recently had a problem with my car starting up but then dying as described in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...lp-please.html The problem is fixed now but now these codes keep popping up and the car is running differently. Sometimes, from a feathered take-off, it will bog down a little but then go fine. Also, every now and then at idle, it surges up and down between 400 - 800 RPMs. When I turn the ignition on, not starting the car, I hear the fuel pump kick on but it sounds kinda bad. Something like a grinding noise but it starts up everytime. So, could these codes be a result to the fuel pump going out? I haven't checked fuel pressure because I really don't want to go out and spend $$$ on a gauge that I'm only gonna use once. On a side note, WOT the car drives fine (or so it seems). Also, when I had the original problem with the TPS, I put some Isoheet in my gas to see if I had gotten bad fuel and I accidentally used the whole bottle instead of whatever was said to add to 15 gallons. (The bottle treats 20 gallons...) Any ideas?
Old 05-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, change your fuel filter now. Its possible that you loosened up some **** in the gas tank and clogged the filter. And when a fuel filter is getting clogged up it will cause the engine to stumble at low rpm and then when you start accelerating it'll be just fine....because the added fuel pressure rise will over come the clog that is building up in the dirty filter.

Give it a shot, its cheap.

And the fuel pump does sound like a buzzing kind of grinding sound when it primes initially for a few seconds.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

That sounds like a good idea. So even if I just changed it like a month ago, it could've still been gunked up by adding that stuff to my gas? Thanks for the quick reply btw.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99Zeeeeeeeeee28
That sounds like a good idea. So even if I just changed it like a month ago, it could've still been gunked up by adding that stuff to my gas? Thanks for the quick reply btw.
Its possible.

Your sypmtoms are dirty fuel filter or dirty injectors. Could also be a bad tank of gas, or water in the gas.

Maybe its even because you put so much of that stuff in there. Maybe run that whole tank out first, see what happens.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Ok, I'll have to try that. FWIW, at first, the problems were much worse. It would almost die on me when I would go from a dead stop and the car bucked when accelerating from 45 MPH. I then added about 5 gallons of gas, and the problems weren't as severe, but some are still there.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Banned

run it down to "E" and fill it all the way up. See what happens.

I've seen people have a bad tank of gas and spend $200 chasing a problem that isn't there.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

Probably not....but that additive could also have messed up your plugs or maybe even the 02 sensors. But probably not.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Ok, I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Teching In

I'm new to the boards, but I have been having these same codes for awhile. Here is all the info I've gotten from various sources here and abroad.

1) Vacuum Leak
2) Vacuum Leak
3) Vacuum Leak

LOL... I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that is the only thing that keeps coming up. I've searched over and over for a leak, but to this day none to be found. Good luck with your problem and if there is a solution found, please remember to let the rest of us know.

Joe
Old 05-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EOD_JOE
I'm new to the boards, but I have been having these same codes for awhile. Here is all the info I've gotten from various sources here and abroad.

1) Vacuum Leak
2) Vacuum Leak
3) Vacuum Leak

LOL... I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that is the only thing that keeps coming up. I've searched over and over for a leak, but to this day none to be found. Good luck with your problem and if there is a solution found, please remember to let the rest of us know.

Joe
Yeah, thats possible too. Its just wierd that it would all of a sudden start after that additive was put in.

A dozen things could cause stalling at idle and low rpm's. Idle Air Control valve could be acting up too.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

But with all of this happening, you guys don't think it would be the fuel pump? Even after the wierd sound it makes when starting up? I have never noticed the sound before and the fuel pump my dad's V6 camaro sounds nothing like my fuel pump does. I know they are 2 different engines, but I would think they would sound more alike unless one is going bad...
Old 05-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Banned

But with all of this happening, you guys don't think it would be the fuel pump? Even after the wierd sound it makes when starting up? I have never noticed the sound before and the fuel pump my dad's V6 camaro sounds nothing like my fuel pump does. I know they are 2 different engines, but I would think they would sound more alike unless one is going bad...
Like I said, it could be a dozen things. If its working while you're driving then its probably good. Most of the time fuel pumps, when they fail, they are dead. I suppose they can die slowly, I just never heard of that case.

Can you get a recording of the fuel pump sound just when you turn the key to "on"?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Good idea, give me till tomorrow though. My parents went away and took the camera with them. With my luck though it wont do it when I actually want it to.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Teching In

I've had that exact same problem with my wife's Murano. It started up fine, but when you gave it gas it stuttered and then ran fine. It was also having the idling problems and couldn't maintain. When I was doing my trouble shooting under the hood I found that the air box was not closed all the way. This is because she took it to MIDAS and they didn't close her air box up right. I'm telling you though. Something tha simple caused all those problems. I was already trying to scratch up all the funds I could to cover the fix that I thought was going to be outrageous. Here is hoping you have the same luck and come across some hose that is either loose or cracked. Also did you do any kind of work to it in the days or weeks prior to the codes popping up?

Joe
Old 05-25-2009, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

The airbox could actually be it. It wasn't closed the whole way so I resealed it and hopefully everything works out fine. I'm still gonna get a recording of the fuel pump though...
Old 05-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Teching In

That's great news. I'm glad it was something very simple. I hope everything with that fuel pump works out great for you. My experiences with fuel pumps have been that right before they give out they will whine quite loud. Never had any grinding noises though. Good luck.

Joe
Old 05-25-2009, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so I took it for a drive today to see if anything changed. I drove it for a good half an hour with no problems at all. Then, I got on an on ramp and decided to go WOT for a bit (maybe up to 90MPH). As soon as I get down to speed, the car starts to VERY lightly buck. Then, I get to a red light and it starts to idle around 400 and sounds like its going to die. I start going, the car bogs down and nearly dies, almost going below 200 RPMs. I get up to speed and it starts bucking really badly around 40 and then eventually runs normal. The rest of the trip back (maybe 4 miles), it drove normal again. What is going on here?? I bought a fuel filter but I don't want to put it in until this tank is almost completely gone to make sure there is nothing that will clog it up.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Banned

Ok, so I took it for a drive today to see if anything changed. I drove it for a good half an hour with no problems at all. Then, I got on an on ramp and decided to go WOT for a bit (maybe up to 90MPH). As soon as I get down to speed, the car starts to VERY lightly buck. Then, I get to a red light and it starts to idle around 400 and sounds like its going to die. I start going, the car bogs down and nearly dies, almost going below 200 RPMs. I get up to speed and it starts bucking really badly around 40 and then eventually runs normal. The rest of the trip back (maybe 4 miles), it drove normal again. What is going on here?? I bought a fuel filter but I don't want to put it in until this tank is almost completely gone to make sure there is nothing that will clog it up.
Nothing you can really do until you kill that tank and put the new filter on. By now, whatever did come loose is in the filter. Did you also run a can of Sea Foam throguh that tank........or was it just that water inhibitor stuff?

Did you clean your MAF real good?
Old 05-25-2009, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

I didn't run seafoam through it, just the isoheet, which, if that is the problem, I will never use it again... As for cleaning my MAF, how should I go about doing that? Rubbing alcohol on the wires? What about for the screen?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Banned

I didn't run seafoam through it, just the isoheet, which, if that is the problem, I will never use it again... As for cleaning my MAF, how should I go about doing that? Rubbing alcohol on the wires? What about for the screen?
I personnally use alcohol and q-tips, but a WARNING...you can easily destroy the MAF if you make the slightest mistake. I recommend you go get a can of Sea Foam and a can of MAF cleaner. Put the can of Sea Foam into a half tank of gas and clean the MAF. Take the MAF off and spray the **** out of it, on both sides, everywhere, all over the screen and through it onto the little wires inside the MAF. Then spray the **** out of the throttle body and open the blade and spray that thing all over it both sides. Let it dry and put it back on. After that tank of gas do the fuel filter.

Also, take that same MAF spray and lift the lid off and spray the **** out of the inlet air sensor thats in the lid on the inside. I do that all the time for like 11 years and that bitch is still the original sensor.

Quick Reply: P0171 and P0174 codes... Could it be the fuel pump?!?