General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help!!!

the other day i was on my way home from el paso to houston... when suddenly the car cuts out and starts turning on and off.... (car had more than half tank) any how pulled over and turn off ignition and car wouldnt start for about 5 or so minutes. about 4hrs later car did it again gas and temps where all ok.... so i get to houston im turning on my exit hit brakes when the headlights and dash cut off for split second. did it again every time i hit the brakes. now today i took out the alturnator and battery and had them checked turned out there ok.... so i install them back in the car and fire it up starts but dash other than the oil and volt meters doesnt work no lights no movement from the dash even odometer and trip dont light up.... disconnected the batttery and still nothing.... the car has been a real pain to start of lately in the mornings it will sometimes click click nothing.... then the gauges will swing to the far right and come down to normal position them usually nothing occasionaly it will fire up then die. then nothing. if u have the door open with the key in the noise u usually hear with be straned or it will sound like the devise that make the sound will be running with no sound. please help ive looked under the car and didnt see any loose or bad wires but im not very good when it comes to wiring . and i hope its not the ECM. thanks and sorry for the really long postjust tring to explain
Old 05-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Could be the ground wire. Its attached to the frame under the fuse boxes with one screw.

At least I think thats the ground wire.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Is it behind the black plastic where the air pump is?
Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 96RamAirTA
Is it behind the black plastic where the air pump is?
Yeah, its around there somewhere. Flat braided metal looking wire, maybe 1/4" wide.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

ok thanks... but that will make the dash not work??
Old 05-25-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Veteran

also check the little junction block by the battery where both positive and negative wires go and tighten all of them to make sure they are snug...it will cause ur car to die out.