General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Unusual window motor failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual window motor failure

My drivers side window motor suddenly gave out yesterday and it wasn't even slow yet. I had this same problem earlier this year where the window like jerked when going down then all of a sudden wouldn't go back up. Last time though we moved it around and all of a sudden it would go back up and down. Same thing happen I noticed it going down oddly and I knew it wasn't going to come back up. So I took the door panel off and found this rubber thing. Also when the push the window switch I can;t hear the motor trying to turn. This was the same as last time also??? But unlike last time it won't just start working again. Any help for what to do or look for??? Here is a pic of the rubber gourmet we found laying at the bottom of the door.
Attached Thumbnails Unusual window motor failure-dscn1930.jpg  
Old 05-26-2009, 01:35 PM
FormerVendor

Looks like the little stopper on the bottom of the window regulator. If your window is binding you shouldnt hear the motor trying to turn. If your window was jumping that may be a sign that your regulator is going bad. I would thoroughly inspect that while youve got the door panel off.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone else im about to tackle this not knowing what to really do. I guess im going to just try and change out the motor and go from there.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

let me know how it goes my drivers side window just did the same thing a few days ago. I havent had a chance to get the door panel off yet.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Time for a new motor!

The rubber thing is the window rest. When the glass is all the way down, it rests on the rubber piece. The appendage on the rubber part fits in a notch in the bottom front of the door. Just remove the door speaker, and look in the bottom of the door. You should see the slot and be able to slide the bumper back in.

This motor failure has happened to me several times. Its the thermal resistor circuit in the motor that normally shuts it off when all the way up/down. As it goes bad, it will cut the motor randomly.

To deal while you work on getting the new motor, you may try this:
- Open the door.
- Turn the car off and then on.
- Press the up switch while tugging up on the glass. (The extra "help" may keep the motor from shutting off.) Once up, keep the glass up until you get a new motor. The problem will get worse and worse until it won't move at all.

If the above doesn't work, let the car sit and cool for a while and you may get better results.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the replies guys I took the motor off the regulator then hit the window switch and it wouldn't even spin. So a put a new one in and everything is good now. Is that rubber stop really important or not because I put it back together without it on.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by fbodyman1026
thanks for the replies guys I took the motor off the regulator then hit the window switch and it wouldn't even spin. So a put a new one in and everything is good now. Is that rubber stop really important or not because I put it back together without it on.
Yea, its important. It will reduce vibration/rattling in the door and will lessen the stress on the regulator and door panel when the window is down.