General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rack and pinion leak

Old 05-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack and pinion leak

Power steering fluid is leaking out pretty badly from the drivers side boot on my rack and pinion. I can turn the boot. When i squeeze it you can hear air coming out. Its leaking on the motor side edge of the boot. When i squeeze the boot power steering fluid leaks out. The boot itself is not torn. I looked online for a replacement boot. Not sure what they call that. So, im using the term boot. I didnt find such a thing on advanced auto parts website. Can i just replace this boot? Or, is there something else that should be done to fix the problem? I hope im not dealing with having to replace the whole rack and pinion. If there is a replacement boot. Where would you suggest i find one? Thanks.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your seals in the rack are leaking. The seals are replaceable but trust me GET A NEW RACK.
The boot wont fix it.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Be pepared to have to jack up the engine to remove one bolt if you decide to replace the rack and pinion yourself - unless you have a aftermarket k - member.

Or cut the bolt during removal and replace with a new one that is just a little shorter when you reinstall. It's a pan bolt. You will also have to get a new alignment.

IMO unless you have a lift - it's better to pay someone to replace it for you and even better if they will let you buy the parts (Advance Auto, Autozone, O-Reilly - around $150 for a remanufactured unit).

Tip: You will get air in the system when you replace - so make sure you bleed the system after replacing the rack and pinion. Else you will loose your steering or be jerky because of all of the air bubbles and foaming in the power steering fluid.

You can replace the boots - about $39 a piece - but if you do it is more cost effective to replace the entire Rack for $150.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 05-28-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe mine might be leaking also so where is the best place to buy?
I'm gonna search the sponsors just trying to get ahead start

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rack and pinion leak