General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Popping under acceleration after bolt-ons

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping under acceleration after bolt-ons

So I've been searching through some old threads and have seen a few people with the same problem I have, although I haven't seen an exactly answer or cure for the problem.

When I accelerate lightly, idle, or am just cruising at a lower RPM, the car runs great and is very smooth. However, when I really gun it I can hear a loud popping noise coming out of the exhaust. This isn't just when I let off (running rich, although I have this happening at times too) and I'm thinking this goes beyond a tuning issue.

I have heard a few people say this is a plug/wire issue, which might make sense as a threw in some NGKs and MSDs when I put in my headers, but if it was wouldn't this be happening more often than just the upper RPM range? I'm thinking I might buy some different plugs and wires and see what happens. I know all of the plug wires are seated well right now.

Anyone have some ideas?

I'm going to be bringing my car in to get tuned (not dyno tuned) on Wednesday. Will he be able to see if I'm having a misfire or something to that effect? He's a very reputable tuner with a lot of equipment.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

90% chance its the plugs/wires. The NGK plugs are fine, but make sure the wires are click fully. It runs fine under normal driving because there isnt much load on the motor. When you hammer on it there is alot of load on the motor, causing the backfiring (popping)
Old 05-30-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

That did it! Went and picked up a set of Bosch wires that actually CLICK and wow... I couldn't be much happier right now. The car has never run this well and I finally feel the nuts behind those headers and other bolt-ons.
One last question, do you think I did any damage with a loose plug wire? It was only driven about 100 miles and now that it is back on correctly it seems to be running perfectly. I'm just slightly worried that I may have done a little damage to my engine.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

i wouldnt sweat it man. If you feel paranoid, change the oil as you might have been dumping excess unburnt fuel in the cylinder, but I honestly wouldnt sweat it brah.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice that you got it fixed... Alls you have to do on the MSD wires is get some needle nose plyers and squish the ends a little so its a tighter fit on the plug.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are fine the way it is. Roll and enjoy it. Glad you got it figured out.