General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Problems Stacking Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Problems Stacking Up

Hello I need some help please... Long Story.. Ok i bought the 00 SS Camaro with a known power steering leak and the guy had been driving it without fluid for a while i guess.. Found it was leaking in the boot in the rack.. Replaced the rack.. Got it home flushed the coolant.. Next time out pump starts making a noise and is boiling over right away.. Found that the ps cooler was leaking water into the fluid. Guess maybe the flush unplugged a hole in the cooler. Well bypassed the cooler and flushed the ps system by unhooking the return line and running several quarts of fluid through the reservoir while turning the wheel.. also unhooked the lines and blew through them.. Now I can drive it for about a solid hour and start getting a whine and real hot boiling fluid.. Could there possibly still be water in the system or do i just have a overheating pump that was driven dry and pumped water for a bit.. Just wandering if i should try a pump now.. Only thing is that the pump makes no noise until its been driven for a while.. Any help is greatly appreciated.. thanks
Old 06-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you remove the factory cooler and run a straight rubber upper hose?

Anyway, if its bypassed thats good because those factory coolers are actually power steering fluid heaters, they do not cool the PS fluid.

If the guy before you ran it without fluid for awhile you probably have a damaged pump, they can't go long when they're just low on fluid before getting damaged.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

looks like you need a new pump
Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 AM

yes I went ahead and ran just a straight radiator hose and chunked that dang "ps heater" as you call it.. U know I thought the same thing cus you can't hardly stand to touch that upper radiator hose after driving it.. Not exactly cooling. But anyway, so I believe I have all the moisture out of the system.. What I didnt flush out surely has boiled out.. So i'll try to put a pump on tomorrow and see what it does.. Thanks yall ill keep ya posted
Old 06-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stilesautos
yes I went ahead and ran just a straight radiator hose and chunked that dang "ps heater" as you call it.. U know I thought the same thing cus you can't hardly stand to touch that upper radiator hose after driving it.. Not exactly cooling. But anyway, so I believe I have all the moisture out of the system.. What I didnt flush out surely has boiled out.. So i'll try to put a pump on tomorrow and see what it does.. Thanks yall ill keep ya posted
Do this for an aftermarket PS fluid cooler. It'll help the pump last longer. Took me 30 minutes and the cooler was like $24.00 at Advance Auto. Easy to do.

For airflow:

Old 06-03-2009, 01:06 AM

ok ya i see what ya did.. May go ahead and pick one of them up with the pump.. Air cooled makes more sense.. Thanks
Old 06-03-2009, 01:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stilesautos
ok ya i see what ya did.. May go ahead and pick one of them up with the pump.. Air cooled makes more sense.. Thanks
No matter how I drive, city stop and go traffic for 30 minutes, constant city driving for 30 minutes or highway.........I can always touch that cooler and its just warm to the touch.

That factory cooler is pathetic.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
No matter how I drive, city stop and go traffic for 30 minutes, constant city driving for 30 minutes or highway.........I can always touch that cooler and its just warm to the touch.

That factory cooler is pathetic.
"Cool" is relative. Since the factory cooler is cooling with the coolant coming out of the radiator, it will only cool down to the temperature of the antifreeze. (which is still hot and why the factory cooler gets hot)
Old 06-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wssix99
"Cool" is relative. Since the factory cooler is cooling with the coolant coming out of the radiator, it will only cool down to the temperature of the antifreeze. (which is still hot and why the factory cooler gets hot)
The only time power steering fluid will ever get hot to the touch is when someone gets on a road race course for 45 minutes. There's no type of city or highway driving that will ever get that fluid anywhere near hot, it just gets warm, like maybe as hot a door glass would get in the summer time from the sun hitting it.

Coolant in our cooling systems is always at a temp that will cause 3rd degree burns. The power steering fluid that enters the alleged "power steering" cooler is just warm. After it leaves its burning hot. Feel the metal lines sometime that enters the rack, you'll burn yourself. Mine are never more warm then touching the paint on the hood of my car in the summer time.

Its a power steering fluid heater, plain and simple. GM just designed a piece of crap. They don't always get it right. Or they were trying to be cool and thinking people are gonna go road race their cars and then the 230 degree coolant would help cool the 300 degree power steering fluid.

All I know is: I have a very happy power steering pump.