General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering pulley loose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pulley loose?

I just finished replacing the PS pump today. Pulling the pulley wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Now, when I was installing the pulley... it got to the point where I couldnt give any more turns to press in the pulley. I still need like 1/8" to 3/16" to have the pulley lined up with the rest. Also, noticed that the pulley had play... in and out like 1/8". Not sure what that means? The pulley spins fine, and doesnt wobble... it just has play where it pops in and out.

Im using the pulley remover/installer tool kit from autozone. To install the pulley, I used the long threaded 3/8" bolt(not the one with the smaller 5/16" dia. section at the end) along with the part seen on the bolt on the left hand side in this image.

*not my image

I know pulling the pulley and trying to reinstall will ruin it after a few times.

Is it suppose to be very VERY hard to line up the PS pulley with the others? Am I using the correct tool combination to install the pulley? Any tips on how to make this process easier? Had a hard time this evening trying to figure out what I could have done wrong