General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

wet Crank postion sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wet Crank postion sensor?

So i replaced plugs, and wires(have seated them 4 times now) the old plugs were wet with a oily substance, new o2's, and still getting MAJOR misfire, engine sways side to side horribly, and at idle it almost chokes out when it warms up, when i put it in first i have to floor it or it will die almost. All this after a 2in deep puddle 3 days ago trying to get off the road. My main suspect is crank position sensor got wet and is throwing the timing off. Plus it sounds like a rod bearing went out on me. Ugh going to check the coil packs again along with injectors now. Also i'm running open headers, one guy said backpressure could have sucked water into cylinders. Any other suggestions wuld be great
Old 06-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

I kinda doubt the crank sensor is wet inside the connector. I dont see a little blast of water getting past the connector seal. I would check the maf.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Pulled the connection on the maf and it remained the same, I was told that would have ruled that out unless there is a more thorough way of checking it.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Had it scanned- random misfire all cylinders, it was suggested that with open headers burning of valves possible and PCM cannot perform properly. Hoping for another diagnosis haha. Guess I get to dig around the heads now
Old 06-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

You kniow..... Water kills 02s if your open headers and wtare did get sucked up to the 02, it quite possibly coulda knocked them both out. A dead 02 will not alwyas set a enginelight or a code but if bad enough will drop cylinders. Need to have it scanned and see what the 02s are doin
Old 06-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I had o2 go bad once causing misfiring, but I just replaced them 1 day after the car started misfiring again. Both were replaced.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

had GM house pull codes with their scanner found
P 101
P 102
P 300
P 443
So my best guess replace MAF and MAP and hope that those 2 in concert could cause my car to stall with acceleration, and cause bad misfire.

Quick Reply: wet Crank postion sensor?