General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

So my transmition is going out, and I’ve ordered a new th 350 and I’m just waiting for it to come in with a new converter, flexplate, hurst shifter and so on... I’m wondering if my transmition can make any noise since its going out... or maybe the converter or the flex plate? and the reason I’m asking is because my car just started making a screeching noise every once in a while and I think its my trany?
Old 06-09-2009, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

anyone pleas....
Old 06-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your wondering if a tranny "can" make noise if its going out???? It can make noises that will sound like pure evil in some cases, or it can totally go out and not make a single hint of a sound.

You should put this in the "auto tranny" section. You'll get more hits.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

The reason I was asking is because I just ordered my new th 350 a week ago. And I’ve had a tranny go out on me before but it didn’t make any noises. Now my car just started making this faint screeching sound from underneath my car. But I can’t pin point it because it only makes the noise when I’m diving (pushing on the gas) it seems... and I was going to wait until I put my new tranny, and converter to see if the noise stops. Basically I just wanted to know if it’s common for trannys to make noises because if so, I’m not going to continue to look for the sound....

ohh and i did post it in the auto section and no one would reply...

Last edited by allenwesley; 06-09-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by allenwesley
The reason I was asking is because I just ordered my new th 350 a week ago. And I’ve had a tranny go out on me before but it didn’t make any noises. Now my car just started making this faint screeching sound from underneath my car. But I can’t pin point it because it only makes the noise when I’m diving (pushing on the gas) it seems... and I was going to wait until I put my new tranny, and converter to see if the noise stops. Basically I just wanted to know if it’s common for trannys to make noises because if so, I’m not going to continue to look for the sound....

ohh and i did post it in the auto section and no one would reply...
I had a 4L60E that was professionally built by one of the sponsors completely, without warning....."go out" and I rolled to stop and that was it, the tranny was toast. TWICE in 1 year. Both times they never made so much as a rats fart for sound. 100% silent destruction.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

ohh man that sucks, I’ve heard allot off stories like that about the 4l60e's that why i just bought the TH 350... My transmition started going out after my first nitrous pass
Old 06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by allenwesley
ohh man that sucks, I’ve heard allot off stories like that about the 4l60e's that why i just bought the TH 350... My transmition started going out after my first nitrous pass
I had my friend rebuild it back in 2003 for around $300 in parts when it went out the second time, it lasted for 3 years. Then as just preventative maintenance I had him rebuild it again ($350 parts + $200 labor) before it started to decline, but it was still pretty good. Its going past 3 years again and its still 100% perfect today. Hits like a sledgehammer when it shifts and hasen't lost a single drop of fluid in these past 3 years.

Its all about the person who actually touches it. 4L60E's really are just fine for 500-600 RWHP if they're built right.

I have a fully built 4L80E in a crate for my next engine though Considering I'm probably gonna get real close to tripling my current RWHP.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

yea if i had the money, i would of bought one off those 4l80's I’ve heard good things about those... but i don’t have the money..