General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Change Your Swaybar Endlinks

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Change Your Swaybar Endlinks

Just figured I would post my feedback on replacing these.
I did mine about 6 months ago, they still had the originals on, and they were really chewed up after 82k miles.
This past weekend we installed some Bilstein shocks on my buddies Camaro Z.
I recommended to him that while we got it apart, to change the endlinks as well. Napa sells their brand for like $15 for a set. Sure enough, after 160k miles on his ride, his were really chewed up too.
Its crazy how much these can affect the cornering on our rides. With the new ones installed, the car felt crisper and tighter in the turns and did not lean as much. The orginal GM parts feel and look more like hard plastic, rather than a softer bushing that would absorb the weight transfer.
The whole job for front and rear takes probably about an hour, is real easy to do and requires only a couple of tools. Just make sure to Torque down to the required specs and you should be all good.

I'll try to post a pic here later of what they endlink should NOT look like.....
Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool man, look forward to seeing the pics.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by question
Cool man, look forward to seeing the pics.
Yeah man, I will get them up tonight, nice power you puttin down there bolt-ons only, we have some strong 2000 cars. Some cars with cam only can't even touch the torque we're putting down, I'm ready for H/C though here pretty soon....
Old 06-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Launching!

i need to replace mine i took my swaybar off this past weekend and the left endlink was so corroded on it took like 30 mins to get off. im looking forward to seeing how it handles with new ones
Old 06-10-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Heres some photos of the newer ones on, they have been on for about 6 months now.
Next a is photo of another members car, you can see how bad the bottom underneath the sway bar is worn down.
I looked for my old ones to take some pics of, but must have tossed em.

I wish I could get the pics to post on the full page open, sorry guys.

But yeah, night and day diffrence in the ride and cornering,the factory ones are crap and our cars really chew them up, the Blue ones I got are from Napa and are pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails Change Your Swaybar Endlinks-dsc01327.jpg   Change Your Swaybar Endlinks-dsc01329.jpg   Change Your Swaybar Endlinks-dsc01367.jpg  

Last edited by Titanws6; 06-10-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm replacing my end links and sway bar in the front (mine is broken, cracked on one end somehow). Got to looking at the rears and they are worn looking too so I'll probably do them when I fix the axle bearing.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well on my 92 the rear one isnt even attached cause the end links broke. do you think the car will handle a little better if i connect it back together?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
well on my 92 the rear one isnt even attached cause the end links broke. do you think the car will handle a little better if i connect it back together?
Oh yeah. Even on my old taurus when that thing broke the back end became like a bathtub, especially when the trunk was full.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol yea. i was just seeing how quick someone jumped on it for such a dumb question. lol right now i have heavy duty zip ties holding it up off the ground so it doesnt drop down and grab a hole or something in the road and rip my whole *** end out from underneath me. im hoping to get over to napa today or tomorrow to pick up a pair.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hell mine were chewed up at 48K. OEM's don't last long.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^^agreed-I was in the middle of a suspension swap when the bolts for my end-links just completely sheared off. Ya they were that rusted, so I ended up replacing mine as well-easy to do, the biggest problem i had was trying to get the sway bar ends to bend for the A-arm so i could slide the bolts in. C-Clamp worked perfect for that
Old 06-11-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow just threw a set of napa's poly endlinks on my car and went to hit the curves and found out my tires cant hold anymore. the car stayed extremely solid compared to before but the tires would just start walking out on me. so after i do the fronts and my sub frame connectors and possibly drop springs if the come in, in time i need to definatly run a wider tire. right now im running 215/60 R16 BAHAHAHAHAHAHA. whats the widest i can run on a 16x8? 255/55 R16?

Quick Reply: Change Your Swaybar Endlinks