General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help resetting computer system

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help resetting computer system

I recently put in a new alternator on my vette and since then my dash has said "charge system fault". I know the charge is fine, but a friend mentioned that he thought you could pull two fuses at once to clear it. Does anyone have a clue on which ones or if this will even work? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Un hook the battery for about 15 min and hook it back up..
Old 06-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Vixen
I recently put in a new alternator on my vette and since then my dash has said "charge system fault". I know the charge is fine, but a friend mentioned that he thought you could pull two fuses at once to clear it. Does anyone have a clue on which ones or if this will even work? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!
Its been said that 30 minutes will do it. But I've been told by a few builders/tuners to just unhook the battery, tap the positive terminal onto the positive battery port 5-6 times getting a spark each time, and its reset. I've done it a few times like that over the years and it works perfectly. No need to wait 30 minutes.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another way to do it without wrenching is with the ignition key on, but the engine not running, pull these two fuses: PCM BAT and PCM IGN from the fuse box under the hood. turn ignition key off. Not sure if you have to wait any amount of time, reinstall both fuses then start engine, when it idles like **** you know you actually reset the PCM.

I know because i have read it in my service manual, and i believe all OBD-II systems work the same way, is when a PCM runs a diagnostic and it fails, or some part fails, it sets a DTC and your check gauges like comes on, or whatever indicator light. The PCM will automatically reset itself and turn off the indicator light after 3 or 5 consecutive successful diagnostic tries on what has failed, so for your charge system fault it will probably go off after the 3rd or 5th day driving the car. Usually it's 3 or 5 full warm up cool down cycles, defined by engine coolant temp starting off below a certain temp then reaching a certain temp. But resetting the pcm is faster, and is probably better if there still is a problem you know sooner.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
another way to do it without wrenching is with the ignition key on, but the engine not running, pull these two fuses: PCM BAT and PCM IGN from the fuse box under the hood. turn ignition key off. Not sure if you have to wait any amount of time, reinstall both fuses then start engine, when it idles like **** you know you actually reset the PCM.

I know because i have read it in my service manual, and i believe all OBD-II systems work the same way, is when a PCM runs a diagnostic and it fails, or some part fails, it sets a DTC and your check gauges like comes on, or whatever indicator light. The PCM will automatically reset itself and turn off the indicator light after 3 or 5 consecutive successful diagnostic tries on what has failed, so for your charge system fault it will probably go off after the 3rd or 5th day driving the car. Usually it's 3 or 5 full warm up cool down cycles, defined by engine coolant temp starting off below a certain temp then reaching a certain temp. But resetting the pcm is faster, and is probably better if there still is a problem you know sooner.
Well I replaced the alternator about 3 weeks ago and its still showing the system fault. So I will try the ideas...Thanks so much!