General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cutting Out at High RPM.....weird one

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Cutting Out at High RPM.....weird one

My car cuts out when I shift at 5900ish at WOT.

The car shuts off, the dash gauges zero out, dash lights come on - and then the car goes back to normal in less than a second.

The only thing I've changed lately is the clutch and master cylinder. It worked fine for about 600 miles and then started doing this the last pass I made at the track.

When this happened at the track there were sparks coming from under neath the car in the alternator area.

I've looked everything over - the alternator turns over freely by hand. Nothing is close the the headers or burnt.

I have a gut feeling the alternator or a power/ground wire is the issue. I doubt it is the motor mounts as the shifter doesn't move....

Any one experience this before?
Old 06-12-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There might be just enough hard movement with the WOT shift that it is still pulling on something. I would definitely check the condition of the exciter wire that plugs into the top of the alternator and then the power wire on the back of it. Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
There might be just enough hard movement with the WOT shift that it is still pulling on something. I would definitely check the condition of the exciter wire that plugs into the top of the alternator and then the power wire on the back of it. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks - I'll check those out.

I might see if I can come up with a limiter strap until I can swap the mounts out.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I would still check the motor mounts out. The trans mount is gonna be the most apparent if it is bad. My motor mounts were trashed but the trans barely moved with a new trans mount. When I pulled the motor mounts out, they were in bad shape. I bought my car brand new so in my head it's new and fine. Reality struck when I started tearing things apart. These things are getting old unfortunately. I've spent a small fortune keeping the thing running recently. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Cutting Out at High RPM.....weird one